Family Video

www.familyvideo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

The environment wasn't what I had expected!

Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training) in Springfield, MO
Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training) in Springfield, MO

I worked at Family Video

Pros

You get a discount of movies which is nice, but the work environment wasn't enough to make me want to stay and work there for an extended amount of time.

Cons

There is a lot to learn and I just didn't think that it was worth the pay that they had offered me!

Just be honest and open to what the individual is applying for and let them know EVERYTHING that is going to be expected of them!!!

290 Other Employee Reviews for Family Video (View Most Recent)

The most unprofessional experience of my life.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Family Video

Pros

-Sales competition can be fun
    -About half of the customers put you in a good mood by just being there
    -of course, the opportunity to watch movies before they are released

Cons

-Horrible management
    -Long shifts with no guaranteed break time
    -Must be good at sales or they will fire you or make you pay for your rentals
    -Required to spend hours refacing and cleaning the store every night, even when alone
    -Cash drawers are shared among all employees
    -Most of the time, employees have to close alone
    -Customers AND management take advantage of the employees

-Give your employees the credit they deserve. Everyone at my branch worked as hard as they could, even worked off the clock ( because if they were too late, they were chastised) to please management but it was rarely good enough.
    -Assigning each employee a new cash drawer upon their arrival is also a grade A idea!!!
    -Also, when one or two members of a team are the source of the problem, punish only them and not everyone as not to single out those who you are "close friends" with.
    -Save the management tasks for management.

Time Consuming

Former Employee - Manager in Charleston, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Charleston, IL

I worked at Family Video

Pros

Learn how to multitask. Learn how to problem solve with customers on the fly. Ability to make your own decisions as long as you have a logical reason for them.

Cons

No life outside of family video, work holidays, and till midnight many days out of the week, not set schedule. Poor pay for as much as you do, there are no breaks, no break room. better expect to work off the clock a lot or you will get in trouble for getting overtime.

Working your employees 8 hours a day without a paid break is that legal? Family video is all about upper management. Lower management is just who they can find to replace you for cheaper.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Video