There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

Perfect for full time student

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Topeka, KS
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Topeka, KS

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to get hours since they were open late. I enjoyed the people i worked with and put forth the effort. Was there all 4 years of college and enjoyed 95% of it, As with most jobs. I referred friends there and they were able to get the job as well.

Cons

can use its employees, but you get out of the job what you put into it.

recognize the strengths of each employee.

reviews filtered by

Great first or part time job. Not career material.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Early release videos, free rentals, small store structure allows you to become close with your coworkers.

Cons

Top management is a Randian nightmare that will do everything in their power to overwork and underpay their employees, in particular the store managers. I was under the impression store managers made $30,000 a year working upwards of 50 hours a week. Now I've come to find out it is even LESS than that. It works out to about $10.00 an hour (without the normal OT an hourly employee would get of course) to be responsible for an entire store. And this year they cancelled the already piddling Christmas bonus because Obama won the election. No, really, that is why. Real classy, Family Video.

Drop this political BS. Quit being parasites leeching off the hard work of your employees.

2. Great place to work, amazing staff and lots of variety

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oshkosh, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oshkosh, WI

I worked at Family Video part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked for Family Video for two years and really enjoyed it. They worked around any scheduling issues and overall were great. Made some life-long friends with staff.

Cons

Managers seem to change stores a lot. There is minimal staffing and no scheduled breaks. Lots of delegation for training new employees. Full-time hours for part-time pay with no benefits. Loved the company but eventually couldn't deal with yet another crappy manager.

Don't use your full-time staff to train your under-prepared managers. I would have loved to stay with this company. As a hard working employee, I was chased off because the district manager started noticing my potential and the store manager got jealous.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Video