Family Video

www.familyvideo.com

Get a job here if you want to work too hard for too little money.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Wausau, WI

ProsUpbeat, fun environment. Meet great people (staff & customers). Challenging without a dull moment. Learn amazing customer service and business skills.

ConsWas brainwashed & worked for Family Video for over 8 years (started part-time and worked my way up to store manager). After a family tragedy opened my eyes, I left Family Video feeling like a had sold my soul. Every waking moment of my life for years was nothing but Family Video's time without proper recognition or compensation. Most of those that moved up the ladder quickly just knew how to get drunk and party with corporate. As a non-drinker I had to work that much harder. I was actually yelled at by my regional manager (who also left after family tragedy struck) following one of Family Video's drunkfests, I mean meetings, for not sticking around to drink and act like an idiot. Was also reprimanded for missing my required weekend hours after attending a family member's funeral. The full name of this company should the Hoogland's Family Video because that's the only family they truly care about.

Part-time employees get paid minimum wage and are expected to run the store just like a manager.

Manager's are salaried and generally work a minimum of 50 hours each week with shifts ending at 1am one night and beginning at 8am the following day. Manager's are required evening and weekend hours and no hours before or after the store is closed count as part of the 44 hour weekly requirement. And you better work the 50+ hours, because if you only work your required 44 hours people are going to start questioning your brainwashing, I mean commitment.

No break room . . . no breaks. Doesn't matter if it is 4 hour shift or a 12 hour shift . . . NO BREAKS ALLOWED. Eat your food while you work with dirty, dusty hands and hold in your urine until there's no customers in the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop letting Family Video walk all over you! If everyone grew some balls and stopped "leaving it at the door", maybe all Family Video employees could be properly compensated and appreciated.

Great part time, full of lies in management

MIT (Manager In Training) (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Video full-time for less than a year

Pros: -Cheap/free movie rentals -You get to see them before the public -If… Cons: All they do is lie. I applied for a pt postion, and got recruited to be a manager-in-training. I went into the MIT program with… Advice to Senior Management: Do not lie. Tell your people straight up what to expect. Maybe pay them a little bit better, so you don't have to… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Perfect for full time student

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Topeka, KS

I worked at Family Video part-time for more than 3 years

Pros: It was a great place to get hours since they were open late. I enjoyed the people i worked with and put forth the… Cons: can use its employees, but you get out of the… Advice to Senior Management: recognize the strengths of each employee. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Family Video.

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!