Family Video

www.familyvideo.com
  www.familyvideo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

Get a job here if you want to work too hard for too little money.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Wausau, WI
Former Employee - Store Manager in Wausau, WI

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upbeat, fun environment. Meet great people (staff & customers). Challenging without a dull moment. Learn amazing customer service and business skills.

Cons

Was brainwashed & worked for Family Video for over 8 years (started part-time and worked my way up to store manager). After a family tragedy opened my eyes, I left Family Video feeling like a had sold my soul. Every waking moment of my life for years was nothing but Family Video's time without proper recognition or compensation. Most of those that moved up the ladder quickly just knew how to get drunk and party with corporate. As a non-drinker I had to work that much harder. I was actually yelled at by my regional manager (who also left after family tragedy struck) following one of Family Video's drunkfests, I mean meetings, for not sticking around to drink and act like an idiot. Was also reprimanded for missing my required weekend hours after attending a family member's funeral. The full name of this company should the Hoogland's Family Video because that's the only family they truly care about.

Part-time employees get paid minimum wage and are expected to run the store just like a manager.

Manager's are salaried and generally work a minimum of 50 hours each week with shifts ending at 1am one night and beginning at 8am the following day. Manager's are required evening and weekend hours and no hours before or after the store is closed count as part of the 44 hour weekly requirement. And you better work the 50+ hours, because if you only work your required 44 hours people are going to start questioning your brainwashing, I mean commitment.

No break room . . . no breaks. Doesn't matter if it is 4 hour shift or a 12 hour shift . . . NO BREAKS ALLOWED. Eat your food while you work with dirty, dusty hands and hold in your urine until there's no customers in the store.

Stop letting Family Video walk all over you! If everyone grew some balls and stopped "leaving it at the door", maybe all Family Video employees could be properly compensated and appreciated.

276 Other Employee Reviews for Family Video (View Most Recent)

Don't expect professionalism, or any sort of respect

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cheap/ Free rentals
    Friendly customers
    Good for part time/ busy people looking for just a few hours a week.
    They say that you can advance quickly up the chain, wasn't there long enough to experience this.

Cons

Training consists of 30 days of management breathing down your neck trying to point out all the areas you are screwing up on. Sales are expected to be up since day one when you have no clue what the specials are. They say they're looking for personality, however all they seem to want in cheerleaders, I wasn't perky enough for them. Expected to work when off the clock too.

Great part time, full of lies in management

Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training)
    Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training)

I worked at Family Video full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Cheap/free movie rentals
    -You get to see them before the public
    -If you can tell colors and know your alphabet it's really easy

Cons

All they do is lie. I applied for a pt postion, and got recruited to be a manager-in-training. I went into the MIT program with the promise of (starting out at) $30k + 1% of the store's sales, relocation anywhere in the country I chose, fast opportunity for promotion to dm, and a great training program that takes 3-6 months (usually 4).
    - It turns out that you can make UP TO $30k with bonus- usually you don't,. salary was average $24,500 for a 55 hour work week
    -Chances are you will not get relocated somewhere else in the country, but whatever benefits your boss, and you have no say in it.
    -The training program was horrific. completely unorganized and it usually takes 6-9 months. you are told to read a binder, then asked questions. you never get hands on experience. I never knew anything more than the part timers.
    -The manager only hired frat boys and hot blondes.
    -I was made to drive 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours, and 3+ hours to work in other stores- never got paid for mileage, drive time, etc... a 12 hour day was paid for roughly 6
    -When I called them out to other employees about how they lied and then criticized the training program/manager/dm for lying, poor hiring processes, and general overall lack of being taught anything, i was fired. The excuse? I came to work with wet hair.

-They "teach" you that they can fire anyone at anytime within 30 days for no reason at all, then brag about how they never have to pay unemployment for wrongful termination
    -I learned more about the family history of the owners/founders than I did how to manage a store
    -I worked in a hostile work environment where employees would not speak to me for an entire 8 hour shift- no one in management cared, much less discipline- and I was supposed to be their boss
    -The customer is given anything/everything they want- you are taught that day 1. But if you have too many discounts or freebies (to make customers happy), you get disciplined

Do not lie. Tell your people straight up what to expect. Maybe pay them a little bit better, so you don't have to lie.
    LEARN PROPER TRAINING. Being trained to run a store out of a binder with no proper hands-on training is not ok. How can one run a store when they only know the founder's history.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Video