There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

Great part time, full of lies in management

Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training)
Former Employee - MIT (Manager In Training)

I worked at Family Video full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Cheap/free movie rentals -You get to see them before the public -If you can tell colors and know your alphabet it's really easy

Cons

All they do is lie. I applied for a pt postion, and got recruited to be a manager-in-training. I went into the MIT program with the promise of (starting out at) $30k + 1% of the store's sales, relocation anywhere in the country I chose, fast opportunity for promotion to dm, and a great training program that takes 3-6 months (usually 4). - It turns out that you can make UP TO $30k with bonus- usually you don't,. salary was average $24,500 for a 55 hour work week -Chances are you will not get relocated somewhere else in the country, but whatever benefits your boss, and you have no say in it. -The training program was horrific. completely unorganized and it usually takes 6-9 months. you are told to read a binder, then asked questions. you never get hands on experience. I never knew anything more than the part timers. -The manager only hired frat boys and hot blondes. -I was made to drive 1 1/2 hours, 2 hours, and 3+ hours to work in other stores- never got paid for mileage, drive time, etc... a 12 hour day was paid for roughly 6 -When I called them out to other employees about how they lied and then criticized the training program/manager/dm for lying, poor hiring processes, and general overall lack of being taught anything, i was fired. The excuse? I came to work with wet hair. -They "teach" you that they can fire anyone at anytime within 30 days for no reason at all, then brag about how they never have to pay unemployment for wrongful termination -I learned more about the family history of the owners/founders than I did how to manage a store -I worked in a hostile work environment where employees would not speak to me for an entire 8 hour shift- no one in management cared, much less discipline- and I was supposed to be their boss -The customer is given anything/everything they want- you are taught that day 1. But if you have too many discounts or freebies (to make customers happy), you get disciplined

Advice to Management

Do not lie. Tell your people straight up what to expect. Maybe pay them a little bit better, so you don't have to lie. LEARN PROPER TRAINING. Being trained to run a store out of a binder with no proper hands-on training is not ok. How can one run a store when they only know the founder's history.

Other Employee Reviews for Family Video

1. Perfect for full time student

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Topeka, KS

I worked at Family Video part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to get hours since they were open late. I enjoyed the people i worked with and put forth the effort. Was there all 4 years of college and enjoyed 95% of it, As with most jobs. I referred friends there and they were able to get the job as well.

Cons

can use its employees, but you get out of the job what you put into it.

Advice to Management

recognize the strengths of each employee.

Great first or part time job. Not career material.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South Bend, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in South Bend, IN

I have been working at Family Video full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Early release videos, free rentals, small store structure allows you to become close with your coworkers.

Cons

Top management is a Randian nightmare that will do everything in their power to overwork and underpay their employees, in particular the store managers. I was under the impression store managers made $30,000 a year working upwards of 50 hours a week. Now I've come to find out it is even LESS than that. It works out to about $10.00 an hour (without the normal OT an hourly employee would get of course) to be responsible for an entire store. And this year they cancelled the already piddling Christmas bonus because Obama won the election. No, really, that is why. Real classy, Family Video.

Advice to Management

Drop this political BS. Quit being parasites leeching off the hard work of your employees.