Family Video

www.familyvideo.com
  www.familyvideo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

As a manager be prepared to be overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, decent district and regional managers. Great place to work for hourly workers. Fun environment.

Cons

You are required to work no less than 44 hours per week while the store is open. As a salaried store manager I typically worked 55 hours a week (which was less than several other managers in my district). If you want to move up in the company you must be willing to relocate (whenever and wherever home office wants to send you).
As a manager you pick up all the slack. Since they only have one or two people working at once, if someone doesn't show up for a shift, you have to work their shift in addition to your own hours. If the store is over on weekly payroll you either have to work someone else's shift or be understaffed on the weekend. You are typically too busy to go to the bathroom let alone have a 15 minute break the entire day (which lasts close to 12 hours two days out of the weekend).
There is absolutely no work-life balance. You have to be 100% committed to your store. You can't make plans, especially on the weekends because you typically have to stay over your 12 hour shift to make sure customers are taken care of. Hard to make vacation plans- if there is no one to cover your hours then you have to cancel your vacation. If you get sick it is nearly impossible to find someone to cover your shift so sick days are typically out of the question. Managers typically only last for a couple of years before they get burnt out.
Since video rental is a dying industry I can only imagine they will continue to exploit managers in order to turn a profit.

Start treating your store managers like people and not machines. Don't allow 12+ hour shifts and have at least two people working during the day so managers can actually take a break during their shift.

276 Other Employee Reviews for Family Video (View Most Recent)

Get a job here if you want to work too hard for too little money.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Wausau, WI

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upbeat, fun environment. Meet great people (staff & customers). Challenging without a dull moment. Learn amazing customer service and business skills.

Cons

Was brainwashed & worked for Family Video for over 8 years (started part-time and worked my way up to store manager). After a family tragedy opened my eyes, I left Family Video feeling like a had sold my soul. Every waking moment of my life for years was nothing but Family Video's time without proper recognition or compensation. Most of those that moved up the ladder quickly just knew how to get drunk and party with corporate. As a non-drinker I had to work that much harder. I was actually yelled at by my regional manager (who also left after family tragedy struck) following one of Family Video's drunkfests, I mean meetings, for not sticking around to drink and act like an idiot. Was also reprimanded for missing my required weekend hours after attending a family member's funeral. The full name of this company should the Hoogland's Family Video because that's the only family they truly care about.

Part-time employees get paid minimum wage and are expected to run the store just like a manager.

Manager's are salaried and generally work a minimum of 50 hours each week with shifts ending at 1am one night and beginning at 8am the following day. Manager's are required evening and weekend hours and no hours before or after the store is closed count as part of the 44 hour weekly requirement. And you better work the 50+ hours, because if you only work your required 44 hours people are going to start questioning your brainwashing, I mean commitment.

No break room . . . no breaks. Doesn't matter if it is 4 hour shift or a 12 hour shift . . . NO BREAKS ALLOWED. Eat your food while you work with dirty, dusty hands and hold in your urine until there's no customers in the store.

Stop letting Family Video walk all over you! If everyone grew some balls and stopped "leaving it at the door", maybe all Family Video employees could be properly compensated and appreciated.

Don't expect professionalism, or any sort of respect

I worked at Family Video part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cheap/ Free rentals
    Friendly customers
    Good for part time/ busy people looking for just a few hours a week.
    They say that you can advance quickly up the chain, wasn't there long enough to experience this.

Cons

Training consists of 30 days of management breathing down your neck trying to point out all the areas you are screwing up on. Sales are expected to be up since day one when you have no clue what the specials are. They say they're looking for personality, however all they seem to want in cheerleaders, I wasn't perky enough for them. Expected to work when off the clock too.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Video