Family Video
www.familyvideo.com

As a manager be prepared to be overworked and underpaid

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Video full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat coworkers, decent district and regional managers. Great place to work for hourly workers. Fun environment.

ConsYou are required to work no less than 44 hours per week while the store is open. As a salaried store manager I typically worked 55 hours a week (which was less than several other managers in my district). If you want to move up in the company you must be willing to relocate (whenever and wherever home office wants to send you).
As a manager you pick up all the slack. Since they only have one or two people working at once, if someone doesn't show up for a shift, you have to work their shift in addition to your own hours. If the store is over on weekly payroll you either have to work someone else's shift or be understaffed on the weekend. You are typically too busy to go to the bathroom let alone have a 15 minute break the entire day (which lasts close to 12 hours two days out of the weekend).
There is absolutely no work-life balance. You have to be 100% committed to your store. You can't make plans, especially on the weekends because you typically have to stay over your 12 hour shift to make sure customers are taken care of. Hard to make vacation plans- if there is no one to cover your hours then you have to cancel your vacation. If you get sick it is nearly impossible to find someone to cover your shift so sick days are typically out of the question. Managers typically only last for a couple of years before they get burnt out.
Since video rental is a dying industry I can only imagine they will continue to exploit managers in order to turn a profit.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your store managers like people and not machines. Don't allow 12+ hour shifts and have at least two people working during the day so managers can actually take a break during their shift.

Overwhelming process for a simplistic sales position

Never Given A Title (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Video full-time for less than a year

Pros: Great family environment. Very relaxed so long as all… Cons: Uncertainty with the schedule, they do not notify you if there are changes. … Advice to Senior Management: Be more selective about the employees hired. Too many… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Overworked, underpaid, get the experience and get out.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Family Video full-time for more than a year

Pros: Depending on your district manager you have a lot of control over your store. You… Cons: No breaks, long hours, overworked. You don't get paid much and after a year and a half on the job I found out that managers… Advice to Senior Management: Get control of your regional and district managers. Each district is ran like a separate company. I wanted to work… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Family Video.

Worked for Family Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Family Video reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Family Video CEO Charlie Hoogland . All reviews posted anonymously by Family Video employees.