Family Video

www.familyvideo.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Family Video

Nice company, but really depends on who you get as a manager and DM

I have been working at Family Video part-time

Pros

Good pay for a college student, 8 an hour plus commission. Can work with your schedule too. Also you get 50% off all rentals and can rent the new releases for free before they get put on the shelf (prestreets)
You are dealing with people's accounts so you are really able to receive good sales and customer experience. Also, if you're lucky you get to watch some of the movie playing in store.

Cons

For my management at least, people tend to talk behind your back. They also would call me and ask me to come in early all the time and when I was busy I could not (which I hardly ever declined) they would get very upset. Even when I wasn't scheduled they expected me to come in at a drop of a hat.
Be prepared to deal with irate customers. Sure you meet some nice people, but people can get very upset with you when it comes to late fees, purges, and other instances (things you basically have no control over). Customers tend to think the job is an easy one, but it has its challenges. You also have to become familiar with how accounts work and the computer system in general.

299 Other Employee Reviews for Family Video (View Most Recent)

Frustrating at best.

I have been working at Family Video full-time

Pros

Being able to train and encourage my team has been the best part of my experience with FV. It has taught me more than any other management position I've ever held and I am truly grateful for their time and patience as we all grew our store together.

Cons

The salary in comparison to other store manager positions is just laughable. You do get 1% of your stores total profit, but honestly, you can't force a failing store to make more money. The titles of the movies and the weather outside dictate the stores revenue more than anything. A bad store manager will lose revenue, sure, but a good store manager can't pull new customers out of thin air or make existing customers rent more. The company makes more than enough profit to give their store managers more than $26K a year. I have 10 years experience!

44 OPEN hours a week means you work at a minimum 50 hours a week. Since the hiring process is completely asinine, that number is closer to 55 because more often than not it's just you and a group of 20 something college kids with a part time job. The company is constantly interviewing and I've personally witnessed fantastic candidates turned away for "not smiling, enough". The process eliminates more people than it allows and I've never had a store fully staffed even though I have never stopped interviewing.

Once you do get someone hired, they are treated poorly. The part time positions do just about everything a manager can, but get paid minimum wage. They do get those free dollar rentals.

I have met most of the corporate office and it seems to me that they have a fantastic view of what their company should be, I believe in THEIR vision. However, in practice, it's not happening every day. District managers are given too much control and store managers too little. More contact with store managers, and more control over their stores, district managers should be there to help coach and train, but not have complete authority over everything, all the time.

Great for the college student

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at Family Video full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours allow you to take on leadership roles. Also, you get to watch a lot of movies and test out video games. It's a fun place to work with the right management.

Cons

High turnover rates all over, double standards, and poor performance compensation. Not easy to move up past assistant management, unless you are willing to move anywhere in the US.

Invest in some real HR, you are bleeding money in turnover costs.

There are newer employer reviews for Family Video