Fannie Mae

Great Benefits horrible Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Heres some pros to working at fannie mae
great benefits
good location
not a lot of long hours
great experience

Cons

there seems to be a lot of cons recently with Fannie Mae. The management does a poor job of developing their staff. There seems to be contractors everywhere for every job, which causes a knowledge gap issue. Poor recognition by management for quality reviews.

HR should look to do more of a people manager assessment prior to hiring for management position. Most of the employees there don't leave cause of Fannie but cause of the Management!

484 Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae (View Most Recent)

Conservatorship Sucks

Current Employee - Project Manager II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Good benefits, particularly for retirement (I'm under the "old" plan with a pension)

Cons

We're in conservatorship and really don't know what the future holds. Will we be eliminated, re-badged under a new company name? Will our jobs be outsourced (probably)? Will our pensions still be around after we are "unwound"? I've gotta say, I never saw this coming. It's a scary time at Fannie, but the benefits are hard to let go of in such an uncertain economy. Golden handcuffs.

Great Outward Appearance, but Inner Environment is a Disappointment.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Fannie Mae offers great benefits that include paid volunteer hours per month, telecommute options, a great 401K contribution plan, drink machines throughout the building that include hot chocolate, coffee and teas, pantry rooms, okay cafeterias, shuttle buses, and competitive pay.

Cons

I've worked in two different departments; Single Family & Credit Risk (both very essential departments to the organization). The environment has remained tense, and the morale is nonexistent. Although there is paid volunteer leave, it's looked down upon if you decide to utilize this benefit each month.

Employee Town Halls are filled with political b.s. and they always start off with "Fannie Mae is helping homeowners and we need you to help us do that..." yet they do major layoffs at least once a year.

Despite the attractive benefits, Fannie Mae is an extremely political environment. I've noticed very few smiling faces walking down the halls. I would not recommend this environment for open minded and creative individuals.

Much of what we do is on the Internet, yet managers are hesitant to allow you to work from home. Stop holding Town Hall meetings if there is nothing of value to say.

There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae