There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

The best times are over, but so are the worst times

Current Employee - Financial Engineer IV  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Financial Engineer IV in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Before the financial crisis, this was a great place to work at, great compensation, great benefits, good work-life balance. The housing downturn hit hard and - while being an interesting place to be in, in the middle of the fight - the stress and uncertainty levels shot through the roof.

Those who can weather the storm could very well be rewarded in the end. Fannie Mae might go away in its current form, but cannot disappear.

Interesting place to work from a professional point of view, if you care about credit and valuation models. The benefits are great and compensation is decent. For the Washington, DC area the alternatives are slim.

Cons

Uncertainty about the future, layoffs after layoffs, politics.

Very fat middle-management layer. Everyone pushes to be a director, since in a non-management role you can hit the ceiling fairly quickly. Having a deeper non-management track would go a long way towards solving this and hanging on to the quality people who actually do the work, not just talk about it.

Keep cutting costs by trimming the fat, define and implement a solid non-management track and the diamond shape will go away.

440 Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae (View Most Recent)

Great Benefits horrible Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Heres some pros to working at fannie mae
    great benefits
    good location
    not a lot of long hours
    great experience

Cons

there seems to be a lot of cons recently with Fannie Mae. The management does a poor job of developing their staff. There seems to be contractors everywhere for every job, which causes a knowledge gap issue. Poor recognition by management for quality reviews.

HR should look to do more of a people manager assessment prior to hiring for management position. Most of the employees there don't leave cause of Fannie but cause of the Management!

Conservatorship Sucks

Current Employee - Project Manager II  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Good benefits, particularly for retirement (I'm under the "old" plan with a pension)

Cons

We're in conservatorship and really don't know what the future holds. Will we be eliminated, re-badged under a new company name? Will our jobs be outsourced (probably)? Will our pensions still be around after we are "unwound"? I've gotta say, I never saw this coming. It's a scary time at Fannie, but the benefits are hard to let go of in such an uncertain economy. Golden handcuffs.

There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!