Free-Fire Zone

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Addison, TX
Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Addison, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

I had a very idealistic view of Fannie Mae and its purpose for our housing market. I came to Fannie Mae based on the recommendation of two colleagues, who I would indicate are top performers in the area of Technology. The director to whom we reported was highly competent and produced results. I worked with the organization for approximately 5 years, demonstrating results. At the beginning of 2011, a series of re-organizations toward Shared Services/Managed Services occured which I strongly supported. Seeing the lack of competence and inexperience throughout the Technology divisision, I thought this would be an opportunity to make progress to benefit the organization.

Cons

It seems like the management became introspective and ceased to operate in the best interest of the company and its purpose. When you have such a large, multi-tiered organization, there's an inherent risk for individuals to focus more on their career than on their purpose. During the past year, my experience quashed any hope I had for the health of the organization. Time and time again, I saw management who were more concerned for their career or their "emprire". When confronting apparent conflicts of interest and potential ethics concerns, management tried to supress and mis-direct. There is a lack of character leaving the Technology division as a soul-less shell. There did not appear to be a clear direction for the road ahead. Instead, morale is at an all time low and everyone is "going through the motions". The talented resources are either replaced through SS/MS attrition or they lose hope. When it was my time to leave, I was given 4 NEW projects during my last 2 weeks and I was prevented from wrapping up work with my current customers. That was an absolute kick to the head. I left wihout securing a replacement position ... as a customer observed (a manager), "its a bad sign when our best and brightest will chose to work no where, rather than working here". Fannie Mae is nearly complete in its transformation: A government bureacracy in every sense of the word. BTW: I found a replacement position within my 2 week transition.

Advice to Management

I don't know how to offer advice. It's already been given by countless people who preceded me. Like an individual dealing with substance abuse, the first step is to admit there's a problem. It was completely disheartening to have the CIO to say, "I know there's problems in the organization, but no one is bringing them forward.", only to see legitimate issues dismissed. i would recommend Ed Watson and his organization needs to take careful, dilligent assessment of their current direction. The legitimacy of their "house" and the housing market requires them to step up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Passive environment, very bureaucratic

Current Employee - Senior Data Management and Governance Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Great place to have market exposure and to build professional skills in the industry. Lot of resources are avilable in this regard.

Cons

Very passive place overall, no sens eof urgency in any body's gesture.

Advice to Management

Nothing.

2. Best in class Recruiting department

Former Employee - Recruiter IV in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Recruiter IV in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Highly customer service oriented. Very knowledgeable recruiters.

Cons

Management could get recruiters bugged down with too much administrative work.

Advice to Management

Try and catch your employee doing things right!