There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Like everyone else mentioned, the best thing about Fannie Mae are the benefits. I’m not sure where you can find better benefits this day and age. Tuition reimbursement is double of most other companies and I’m not aware of other companies with employee assisted housing programs.

Cons

Internally the company is very political. If you are not in the right section or even the right team you face an uncertain future. There didn’t seem to be much reasoning behind the latest layoffs. You can perform at a high level and do everything right and you still get laid off. I also do not understand why they laid off so many people, yet there are hundreds of job openings. If the company truly cared about the employees they would have worked with the individuals being laid off and attempted to fill some of the open positions.

Share information with the employees!

441 Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae (View Most Recent)

Its who you know and not what you know. Sometimes its what team you land in that matters more.

Current Employee - Technical Role  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Role in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

If you get the right entry, the salary and benefits are pretty good. Also it depends on which team you end up working in. If the team is bad (or bad management) then its a terrible experience otherwise things can work out ok.

Cons

Longtime employees become part of the furniture. On the technical side an over-dependence on contractors to do the work. You need to be visible (even if you do not do any fruitful work), otherwise forget about any career plans.

Frankly I am supportive of Herb trying to clean house. I think he needs to fire more of this Sr Mgmt and get the company to be much leaner and employees should actually be more accountable. Mgmt needs to address diversity. Its one thng to say Fannie is diverse but to me diversity should be at every level. Why is that at the technical level only Asians are more (i am one too)? There has to be diversity at all levels only then can a company say they understand diversity.

Caution - unless you have no creativity

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Herndon, VA

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Benefits are competitive for the industry and area.

Cons

Minimal opportunity for creativity and career growth.

Wake up and realize that managers are feeding you the information they want you to hear.

There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!