Turbulent times at Fannie Mae

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Nice Work / Life Balance
Interesting business issues to support

Cons

Instability / uncertainty due to current financial crisis
Heavy turnover in senior management
Potential for further downsizing in the event of a merger with Freddie Mac
Government conservatorship is stiffling innovation

Advice to Management

Top priority to re-assure employees is to address FNMA's longterm future with the Department of the Treasury

reviews filtered by
  1. Used to be a good place to work

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae

Pros

Salaries and benefits were good untill the stock crashed. The company in the past has tried hard to work with its employees. They are good about giving employees the opportunity to seek training and education outside of work. When I worked there that was never a problem. I was able to attend several excellent seminars when I worked. My boss was very supportive of my desire to take these courses and so was his boss. People in mid-level jobs were easy to work with. Most of the people at that level were good about getting informtion to you when asked.

Cons

Infomation is not shared, too many employees came from the political arena. They think that getting ahead is simply a functon of who you know and not what you can do. Too many times they were right. So, if people are not good at playing games this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Share information, work better accross divisions

2. Fannie Mae is a good place to work at.

I have been working at Fannie Mae

Pros

Fannie Mae values diversity and allows flexible work options. Senior management has pun an emphasis on volunteer work this year (2009) and promotes our mission in helping housing market. This makes employees feel valuable to the comunity. The company offers competitive benefits. It is an excelent place to work for if you are a working mother or plan to take advantage of maternity benefits.
    The company has had layoffs in the past 2 years, but has always provided severance packages.

Cons

Jobs are not as secure as they used to be, and the layoffs may affect even the most gifted people. Sometimes it feels like politics play a bigger role than a fact based decision making.

Advice to Management

Culture change has not happened in the last 4 years since the company started putting an emphasis on it.