There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Depends on what you value; a single opine from an employee far removed from Fannie Mae's larger mission

Current Employee - Senior TPS Architect  in  Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Senior TPS Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for less than a year

Pros

Competitive pay, extremely easy work (though pointless or meaningless at times) flexible work arrangements, constant change for those who have occupational ADD, work/life balance is excellent, great offices in Herndon/Reston. If you can tolerate "pretend work" for grossly inflated compensation in comparison to what is expected, then Fannie Mae is the best place to work around. If you want to climb the corporate ladder and advance quickly, nuzzle up to a Senior Executive and do everything you are told, otherwise use your brains and look for truly meaningful work elsewhere.

Cons

Poor communication, hard to keep up with constant change, several groups/people duplicating effort or going a different direction, shoot-from-the-hip "strategic" planning, work efforts seem impulsive without attention to long term goals, worthless/repetitive meetings without agendas/action items, lots of meetings but nothing is actually accomplished, group think and acquiring consensus/approval is extreme, mindless projects = "progress," project efforts are critical one week then non-existent the next, smart managers but who are very quickly seduced by the corporate kool-aid, no one seems to really know where we are going or how we are going to get there, gossip, passive aggressive co-workers who are easily threatened, aversion to new ideas with certain processes ("this is how we do it here"), intense dislike for contractors, constant flux of insourcing then outsourcing and vice versa, too much broad/vague corporate motivational/principles crap. FNMA tries waaaay too hard to label itself a world class company when it is really a chaotic mess with an average workforce at best.

Trying to think of something constructive or at least clever to say here, but I guess all I can come up with is it this - it seems we are ALL pretending in our over-staffed, non-essential support roles. And, personally, I'm okay with that, but please stop pretending like you care about my career or how much work I appear to be doing. I'll stay on top of those TPS reports for 37.5 hours every week if it means I can take my family to a nice dinner now and again. Deal?

440 Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae (View Most Recent)

My life at Fannie Mae with varied ups and downs.

Current Employee - Business Analyst II  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is nice to work with dedicated folks, and the physical plant is acceptable, although inconsistent from one office to another

Cons

Managment is not very involved, there is an incredible amount of work to be done with considerable resource constraints and too many varied tasks with too much key person dependency

Be more pro-actively involved in the work.

Not a good place for you, if you are looking for Professional environment

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst  in  Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* You get to learn about the mortgage industry.
    * Lots of talented, hard-working people

Cons

* You are beeing watched all the time, like no one trust you.
    * Company has gone downhill the past few years, and there is a lot of uncertainty on where it is headed
    * Many employees stretched thin and stressed
    * Expect to be on call 24/7 and work overtime on a regular basis, and with no additional compensation or comp time
    * Incredible amount of work to be done by too few employees who have limited access to resources
    * Very little time to learn the applications and train
    * Too many processes with too much dependence on a few key people
    * Too much complexity in the applications
    * Management seems to want to push their work onto the employees
    * Toxic work environment with lots of bickering and tons of office politics
    * Management wants to create a barrier between contractors and regular employees
    * Turnover is high with many people leaving in less than 1 year (no surprise given the above points)

Employees are not Sheeps, they can only work 8 hours productively

There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!