Fannie Mae

www.fanniemae.com
  www.fanniemae.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Methodologists in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Methodologists in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is really into work life balance. When I was there, they offered childcare, lactation rooms, health facility, elder care, meals to go, bonded house sitters, etc. Your life could be balanced from birth to death; thus allowing you to work with fewer life stressors.

Cons

Sometimes, management could be cold and unfeeling. While I never experienced this, I did witness this on a couple of occasions.

483 Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae (View Most Recent)

Good work and life balance

Former Employee - Financial Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Financial Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work and life balance

Cons

individual development and career advancement is limited

Excellent benefits. Bad management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent benefits. Truly outstanding.
    -Decent pay.
    -Opportunity to set own work hrs.
    -Not typically micro-managed.
    -Occasional opportunties to work overtime, and earn some extra pay.
    -Monthy appt set in stone with manager to discuss any concerns, etc. (though concerns are noted, unfortunately, they are rarely acted upon).
    -Can wear jeans all through the summer months, and business casual at other times.

Cons

-Extremely poor, inconsistent, ineffectual managers who burden some of their long term, hard working employees with the work other, less focused individuals (many, but NOT all, are contractors) can't be bothered to complete. Management finds it easier to overburden their established hard workers, than to actually be the bad guy and hold the slackers accountable.

-Team lead positions, which pay a premium, are something of a joke. All employees, with exception of leads, had to do an accounting of how, literally, every minute of their typical work day is spent. Why? Is this because majority of the team leads day is spent wandering around laughing with the people they 'lead', in between hanging out in bosses office talking smack about these very same people? I wouldn't want to account for that either.

-Raises not being provided every year, and when they are, they are an extremely small percentage.

-No morale building activities which are so desperately needed these days. When I first started working for Fannie Mae, we were shown often how much we were appreciated. They would buy us lunch/ice cream, have small parties when goals were met, monthly birthday parties. Now we are rewarded by being allowed to wear jeans here and there, something which costs the company absolutely nothing. That's it. Big fun.

-Upper management that is never seen or heard from, though located just a floor above. Upper mgmt was in our department recently for the first time in over a year and a half; I was flabbergasted to see them. How can they effectively lead employees they don't even know?

-It is not an environment for professionals. I am surrounded all day by fellow employees who think nothing of making upwards of ten personal calls a day I am forced to listen to, etc, etc etc. In my previous long term position with another company, this would NOT have been tolerated and resulted in dismissal, yet it runs rampant here...completely unchecked.

-Does not provide adequate resources in which to do my job. I had a piece of equipment stop working that was vital to using my computer, and the IT guy said that Fannie Mae doesn't replace those. What?!! I am now supposed to buy my own computer equipment?! The computers are forever having issues, because they are in constant use and years and years old. It is hard to effectively do your job, when you can't rely on your equipment.

My advice would be to pay close attention to what I have relayed in the 'con' section and take action. I am a full time employee of many years, one of your hardest workers, and I will be leaving the company in the next few months. I'm heading to a new state and hopefully a position with a company where I am respected and valued.

Fannie Mae Response

Feb 4, 2014Representative

We are sorry that your experience at Fannie Mae did not meet your expectations. We take these reviews seriously and into consideration. We will pass along your review to Senior Management. Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae