There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Excellent benefits. Bad management.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent benefits. Truly outstanding. -Decent pay. -Opportunity to set own work hrs. -Not typically micro-managed. -Occasional opportunties to work overtime, and earn some extra pay. -Monthy appt set in stone with manager to discuss any concerns, etc. (though concerns are noted, unfortunately, they are rarely acted upon). -Can wear jeans all through the summer months, and business casual at other times.

Cons

-Extremely poor, inconsistent, ineffectual managers who burden some of their long term, hard working employees with the work other, less focused individuals (many, but NOT all, are contractors) can't be bothered to complete. Management finds it easier to overburden their established hard workers, than to actually be the bad guy and hold the slackers accountable. -Team lead positions, which pay a premium, are something of a joke. All employees, with exception of leads, had to do an accounting of how, literally, every minute of their typical work day is spent. Why? Is this because majority of the team leads day is spent wandering around laughing with the people they 'lead', in between hanging out in bosses office talking smack about these very same people? I wouldn't want to account for that either. -Raises not being provided every year, and when they are, they are an extremely small percentage. -No morale building activities which are so desperately needed these days. When I first started working for Fannie Mae, we were shown often how much we were appreciated. They would buy us lunch/ice cream, have small parties when goals were met, monthly birthday parties. Now we are rewarded by being allowed to wear jeans here and there, something which costs the company absolutely nothing. That's it. Big fun. -Upper management that is never seen or heard from, though located just a floor above. Upper mgmt was in our department recently for the first time in over a year and a half; I was flabbergasted to see them. How can they effectively lead employees they don't even know? -It is not an environment for professionals. I am surrounded all day by fellow employees who think nothing of making upwards of ten personal calls a day I am forced to listen to, etc, etc etc. In my previous long term position with another company, this would NOT have been tolerated and resulted in dismissal, yet it runs rampant here...completely unchecked. -Does not provide adequate resources in which to do my job. I had a piece of equipment stop working that was vital to using my computer, and the IT guy said that Fannie Mae doesn't replace those. What?!! I am now supposed to buy my own computer equipment?! The computers are forever having issues, because they are in constant use and years and years old. It is hard to effectively do your job, when you can't rely on your equipment.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to pay close attention to what I have relayed in the 'con' section and take action. I am a full time employee of many years, one of your hardest workers, and I will be leaving the company in the next few months. I'm heading to a new state and hopefully a position with a company where I am respected and valued.

Fannie Mae Response

Feb 4, 2014 – Representative

We are sorry that your experience at Fannie Mae did not meet your expectations. We take these reviews seriously and into consideration. We will pass along your review to Senior Management. Thank you.

Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae

Depends on business unit- Single Family is great, Finance is awful culture, work and miserable leadership.

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time (More than a year)

Pros

reasonable pay/benefits, good office locations, a lot of smart people work there

Cons

no leadership, zero collaboration at the VP and above level so nothing gets done. Company performance is inconsequential (in how FHFA manages the company and its future) so officers and above are caught in a constant political witch hunt. This causes long and exhausting hours- to recreate things multiple times based on latest top-dog. Terrible morale, especially within Finance.

Advice to Management

start taking responsibility of the miserable state of Finance division's affairs

Could be great with cultural changes

I have been working at Fannie Mae full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, compensation is competitive, & the benefits are better than what most other private companies offer.

Cons

Unclear direction with work & uninformed, occasionally uninterested, management have created a tense working environment where true productivity is sacrificed for political objectives.

Fannie Mae Response

Feb 4, 2014 – Representative

Thank you for taking the time to review Fannie Mae. We take all reviews seriously and will pass it along to Senior Management.