There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

I assisted with administrative tasks, and didn't really get a chance to do meaningful work.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Washington, DC
Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Fannie Mae as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The work was very easy and stress-free. My manager was on a dirrerent floor, so I was not micromanaged. My hours were relatively flexible. I was allowed to order my own office supplies.

Cons

My work did not challenge me. While I had a strong accounting and financial background, my work consisted only of attending meetings, taking notes, and following up with project managers about open items from the meetings.

Place more value on interns and invest the time to train them properly.

440 Other Employee Reviews for Fannie Mae (View Most Recent)

Surprised at how well-run this company is.

Former Employee - Business Analyst I  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst I in Dallas, TX

I worked at Fannie Mae full-time for more than a year

Pros

Extremely professional organization. The people are very well-qualified and dedicated to their mission. Fascinating to see the internals of how the mortgage industry actually works in this country. Fannie Mae has been unfairly vilified as a cause of the mortgage collapse. In fact, they are required to buy loans sight-unseen from the originators, which provided a great opportunity for fraudulent mortgage brokers. Why the law was written like that is an enduring mystery! Finally, it is a very diverse workforce demographically.

Cons

The employee evaluation system for non-managers is arranged so that 50% of the evaluation is based on a "360 degree" view, and only 50% on quality of work -- meaning that non-managers must be popular to stay. When coupled with the HR "stacking" policy in which the bottom 5% of the staff is targeted for termination each year, and the heavy emphasis on using contractors and term employees, the result is that the permanent employee cadre are very homogenous in outlook and style of thought. Which is ironic, since the demographics are quite varied.

So, unfortunately, conformity is rampant, and divergent thinking isn't encouraged. Also, the dominant culture is one of brevity in speech -- "it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt." The result is a certain type of group-think, which is one of the reasons (I believe) why the organization was so easily defrauded by Countrywide and other bad actors who sold them completely bogus mortgages.

Less group-think. Get rid of the "stacking" of employees -- just about everyone is highly qualified, no need to shave off the bottom 5 - 10% every year. It encourages unfortunate and sometimes vicious competition internally, to little purpose.

Fannie Mae Response

Feb 4, 2014Representative

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate you taking the time to review the company. We will pass this along to Senior Management.

First Time at Fannie

Current Employee - Quality Analyst  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Quality Analyst in Reston, VA

I have been working at Fannie Mae as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Working in HAMP Learned so many things, liked very much helping home less program.

Cons

Should improve Full time hiring process.

There are newer employer reviews for Fannie Mae

Worked for Fannie Mae? Contribute to the Community!