There are newer employer reviews for Farmers Automobile Insurance

Run Away

Former Employee - Agency Owner in Dayton, OH
Former Employee - Agency Owner in Dayton, OH

I worked at Farmers Automobile Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Farmers has financial backing by a large Swiss company. On paper they look like a solid company. Many of the agents are quality people who want the best for their customers.

Cons

That being said, there are so many glaring red flags with this company. There is little to no training offered and minimal support from the district manager. If you don't have at least $40k to invest in the business your expenses for leads and travel will make this a financial nightmare. You work 6-7 days a week minimally 60-80 hours with little to show because your expenses quickly exceed your income. Turnover is high because it's difficult to met the quarterly quota due to an adverse marketing position. Once you leave, the subsidy is repayable immediately--something the hiring managers never tell you--it's a loan not a salary. This is a scam meant to attract sales people to sell policies to their family and friends to boost the company's coffers. Then these get turned over to established agents based on the good graces of the manager.

Spend more time to training new agents and helping them to becoming stable producers. Get rid of quotas and concentrate on quality business. Provide more money and resources to make agents more successful.

reviews filtered by
  1. A great opportunity to learn.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Farmers Automobile Insurance part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They strongly encourage and even offer to finance my getting my life and disability insurance licenses. The customers are really friendly and are nice to work with, they appreciate assistance.

Cons

At times I felt that I was supposed to be dishonest in some gray areas, and I didn't feel comfortable, and did not go along with it. My view of the agents became tarnished.

Keep all dates and records on the up and up, offer community services honestly for the purpose of future marketing in addition to helping out (instead of pretending to the staff that it was entirely a heartfelt motivation only to be asked to call on "leads" after). Be up front with office and business goals where it would affect your employees (i.e. hours available, office mergers, etc.).

2. Don't walk........RUN!!!!

Current Employee - Special Claims Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Special Claims Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Farmers Automobile Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A job.............people are nice, a paycheck, and health care.

Cons

Micro manged, Management do not know what to do.an are basically lackeys of poor upper Management. Every failure from Progressive, as well the worst people who came from other companies gravitate to Farmers. HR, is a poor joke.

Horrible work environment.

Close your doors, start over. You have a staff that hates you. and no one cares.....

There are newer employer reviews for Farmers Automobile Insurance