You can succeed if you work hard, but employees are not taken care of well.

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Mercer Island, WA
Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Mercer Island, WA

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Direct supervisors and managers were quite supportive and appreciative. Tendency to look at internal candidates first for opportunities commendable. Good transportation options (plenty of parking, very convenient to major bus stops). Cash bonus program when I was there nice surprise.

Cons

Typical for insurance companies, technology a couple of steps behind the times. Rank-and-file employees underpaid; unless you have a major position, this is not the place for a household's primary breadwinner. Upper management (from both Los Angeles home office and my office) not good at establishing clear strategies, and they are especially poor at communicating to the rank-and-file. This leads to a sense of disconnect at best ... and betrayal at worst. (A major layoff when the company didn't make much of a disappointing quarter poisoned the atmosphere, and the way the dispatched employees were literally kicked to the curb was distasteful.) That's a good reason why the employees tend to whine.

Large percentage of agents tend to treat the employees poorly, as well.

Pay more attention to your office employees; they think you're taking them for granted while you brown-nose the agents. Be more competitive with compensation and benefits. Take more heed of any suggestions the rank-and-file have. Show more appreciation. Have the Zurich masters show more involvement with Farmers.

Other Reviews for Farmers Insurance Group

Glad I took the job, don't plan on staying for the long haul

Current Employee - OCR Standard Auto  in  Olathe, KS
    Current Employee - OCR Standard Auto in Olathe, KS

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

No experience required
    Great pay for a first job out of college
    Mobility - Farmers is a national company and Zurich is global
    Potential for lateral job movement
    Benefits
    Respectful colleagues

Cons

Little space for new ideas
    Not much room for vertical movement
    Yelled at by your customers, about daily
    Job requires speed and detailed accuracy, difficult combination
    Stressful
    Overly quantified measurement scale for performance grading

Less work per person, or more hours to complete work assigned. Personally, I wish I felt less like a part of a herd, and my particular skills and strengths were recognized and utilized - but this may be difficult in such a large company.

Growing Pains

Former Employee - Agent  in  El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Agent in El Paso, TX

I worked at Farmers Insurance Group

Pros

Great opportunity for some people. The flexable hours and unlimited income potential are very attractive. Education is available via University of Farmers online - anytime.

Cons

Farmers is growing and therefor is experiencing growing pains. The trasition to coat-to-coast coverage has required much of management's attention. Charges happen with little or no notice. It is what it is attitude helps the frustration.

Remember your roots. "We are all family" culture is changing to bottom line focused culture with a strong CYA culture throuout the company. Growth is a good thing but not the only thing. "Casualities of war" should not be an acceptable excuse for forgetting where you came from and how you got there. It should be how can we do things better for those that are with us.

There are newer employer reviews for Farmers Insurance Group.

Worked for Farmers Insurance Group? Contribute to the Community!