There are newer employer reviews for Farmers Insurance Group

Great opportunities & expansion into global parent

Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. A lot of growth opportunities and experiences (e.g. internal and in parent company Zurich).
2. "Family" culture where local employees feel like they are part of a family.
3. C-Level executives are very 'down to Earth' and approachable (e.g. no Ivory Tower).
4. Many programs for change and adapting the business to the needs of the market to be more competitive are heavily supported from CEO.
5. Strong brand and long history of presence in the U.S..

I would and have recommended this organization to friends, family, and strangers! I believe in Farmers and have confidence change will happen.

Cons

1. Internal politics - local business units (e.g. Farmers Management) vs. regional and global business units (e.g. Zurich Insurance Company) make it challenging to work collaboratively.
2. Unknown strategy with 21st Century - needs more investment not neglect.
3. Heavy reliance on agency force to deliver growth - this is not sustainable, look at the market!
4. Many long tenured employees and leaders who slow down forward movement for change (e.g. afraid of change).

The strengths outweigh the weaknesses, but we need a stronger push to change faster!

Advice to Management

1. Invest in a strong direct business to cater to younger generations - if the current model does not change Farmers will not be agile and competitive (e.g. compare to Allstate, Statefarm, & USAA).
2. 'Confidential planner' is not a growth sustainable target group for growing the business - need more partnership with retailers and direct access.
3. Rates and customer services competitiveness - we should be in the front of the pack, not the rear.

reviews filtered by
  1. Company in flux

Current Employee - Enterprise Leadership Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Leadership Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is trying to change for the better and senior management is heavily behind it. Benefits, work-life balance, compensation, etc. are above average

Cons

Some employees have been with the company a long time and are resistant to change.

Advice to Management

Push the company to change faster

2. MBA with over 10 years management experience. Really enjoying my career at Farmers.

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Farmers Insurance Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Benifits are great. A lot of room for advancement. Management really takes your work into account when making decisions about promotions. Great work life balance. You won't be putting in 50+ hour work weeks here unless you want to.

Cons

None at this point. I am a newer employee but my wife has been working for the company for more then 15 years and she still loves the company and the job she does everyday.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote those employees that perform and enjoy their work and look to get rid of those that don't.

There are newer employer reviews for Farmers Insurance Group