There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Good place if young. Not great if you want bigger things out of life.

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Woodside, NY
Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Woodside, NY

Pros

Always able to move up the ladder

Cons

Commission sucks. People would work harder if there was more money coming in for their hard work.

Advice to Management

Pay employees better

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

I am proud to work here!

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

-Great place to learn sales -Great opportunity for advancement between Sales Support and General Manager(I worked part-time Sales Support for 7months; Outside Sales 2 years 1mo, then General Manager) I cant yet speak from personal experience for advancement beyond GM. -Good pay for what you do as Sales Support -Decent pay for work done in Outside Sales, if you are effective and efficient with your time 50+ hours really isn't necessary. -Good minimum pay for GMs (50K), new policy for 2012. This is good for NEW stores and stores in POOR markets (I have worked in both). New store GMs and GMs in poor markets used to be under compensated for the work they did. I think this amends that issue. Just remember if you aren't on your way to earning 50k based on normal salary and commission you probably wont keep your job. -Full Time employees have lots of opportunities for professional development through Fastenal School of Business -An employees willingness to learn, and grow into a better sales person and leader is key for success here. But that's no different from any other job. -If you have good manager over you, you will like what you do here. Unfortunately Fastenal isnt perfect and there are bad managers out there. -Decentralized decision making from the corporate level. YOU run your business unit how you see fit to achieve success. If you dont succeed its likely your own fault. -Ask for help(be the squeaky wheel) and you'll get it. -Communication is improving within company. -HUGE opportunities with vending solutions for long term growth & profitability -Medical coverage is good

Cons

-Dont expect a raise in your base pay. It would be nice but these raises are few and far between and usually go to employees that dont plan to advance beyond their current position after being there for several years. -If you are under bad leadership in your store or district you job probably sucks. However, thats true anywhere you work. -Communication is improving but still needs work. -If your thinking is short term, I want it now, you probably wont like your job.

Advice to Management

-Make sure your GMs and DMs are telling new hires exactly what to expect. Some of them are "selling" new people on what "could be" and leaving out what the reality of what day one on the job really will be like. We have a great company and we don't have to sell people to join us. -Continue moving in the right direction with communication improvements. -Look into what it will take to give raises in base pay, and make it happen. It really doesn't take much of an increase to keep your good employees from looking for another job. Dont guarantee raises, just give them to the people who deserve them. -I am proud to work for a company that has values that align with my own!

2. Good place to start career

Former Employee - OSP in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - OSP in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Flexible and friendly work place

Cons

Long hours and low pay

Advice to Management

Provide better compensation for hours worked