There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Fastenal...

Current Employee - General Manager in Winona, MN
Current Employee - General Manager in Winona, MN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Direct management has been good. Compensation is good if you grow at an alarming rate at high profit margins. You can generate your own team dynamic. Freedom of managing operations

Cons

Corporate..., Upper management is poor, Too many hours for the stress and compensation, Promotion of dishonest employees is common, Company culture is poor to non-existing (maybe it was good under the founder), Lean team environment can be too lean, Very poor management of internal relations

Advice to Management

Wow, If only someone important would read this... Just because the primary responsibility/focus of this organization is to increase shareholder value/wealth, that does not mean that employees don't matter anymore. - Put a lot more effort into employee satisfaction. I increasingly feel like I'm in the middle of a battle between two sides (My upper management and My costumers)... and I'm the only one being shot at (I'm sure most managers and sales personnel feel like that). - Do things that make sense. Pay cuts! On the first of June 2012 one of the most asinine pay-cuts happened to pull cash from one side (payroll) of the balance sheet to the profit side, making the company more profitable to shareholders for the short term. Great move Will. Actually, really-really bad move. - Don't cut may pay after I have shown record profits and massive growth numbers. I could go on and on. -I won't go on and on. If only someone important would read this. -Someone important please read this.

reviews filtered by
  1. I hope you like hard work, because there's plenty of it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is steady a workflow. Even through the worst of times, we did not see any layoffs. It's fairly easy to climb the career ladder in a short amount of time.

Cons

-This has to be some of the lowest pay in the industry.
    -Some people are allowed to shun duties that the dont find pleasureable. Those duties are then passed on to others, whose feet are held to the fire if the duties are not done.
    -Facility management can be inconsistent

Advice to Management

Hold individual contributors accountable for duties that fall under their job title.

You will never retain quality people until you raise starting pay across the board.

There needs to be some sort of Manager training for managers who are not on the retail side.

2. Great company to work for

Current Employee - OSP in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - OSP in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for , with good values. You can expect hard work, but it is rewarding (the customers and contacts are great). There are opportunities to move up. Fastenal is a solid company with decent benefits. They opporate on the skinny side, but that is a huge part of what makes this company secure, and what makes your position vital.

Cons

High turnover, but nothing unusal for a sales job. Long work days.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal