There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Employees not priority

Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Winona, MN
Current Employee - Sales Coordinator in Winona, MN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work isn't bad, opportunity to move up if you know the right people, are pretty, or are in with the boozing golf club. Pretty flexible hours wise

Cons

Favoritism, nepotism, cronyism run rampant.... no performance reviews, no raises and bonuses taken away if company goes below 10% growth... creative accounting to make sure shareholders profit and this profit is paid for by employees.

Focus on your employees as much as customers. Fix the who you know atmoshpere

634 Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal (View Most Recent)

It's just not what they say it is. Simple as that.

Former Employee - In Store Sales Support in Westerly, RI
    Former Employee - In Store Sales Support in Westerly, RI

I worked at Fastenal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The store is run however your manager decides. You may get a truck and gas card. Lots of training which you will probably never have time to do, and no one cares if you do it or not. You will learn quickly what kinds of places are going to be run like this quickly. If your savvy you can get rusted items that are supposed to be disposed of for scrap if you ask.

Cons

It's hot , its cold, things don't work, our A/C was turned off due to poor performance, and we worked off of space heaters in the winter (when the breaker didn't trip). Upper management is laughably insane. You may end up spending your days calming down angry people on the phone and cleaning up after a slob, who likes to go fishing on work hours. You will be left to your own devices when you have questions, cell phones don't get answered a lot. Your job description won't really matter. As in store support I was driving around begging for business from people who never heard of us, because they don't advertise. Our store also had a bad reputation before any of the current employees where there, which led to some people totally distrusting us, period. Days would go buy in store and no one would come in, or people would just wander around and buy nothing. We were also instructed that we didn't sell to the home owner and not to waste time with them, because, you know, word of mouth doesn't matter or anything, right?

Don't be shocked if you end up helping a store hours away and not be compensated for your drive, because you took a company vehicle. Your upper management may make sexist, and down right offensive comments when out of ear shot of public, about you or them. I mean, really offensive,even as a guy. BUY A GPS or suffer badly as you will be driving to many locations, some of which aren't even established on a GPS yet. Eventually you will realize unless your area is an industrial sector you will be at the mercy of one or two major accounts, and smaller businesses won't really be interested in you because they discounts don't work right for smaller businesses, which you will pester constantly until they literally tell you to leave.

Don't hire people with one description then have them do something totally different. Don't go tell people they are going to be terminated every week because we can't sell your miserably overpriced products. The vending program confuses people, especially in more rural areas or smaller businesses. If you don't work on commission, frankly no one cares about your sales numbers, especially when the store is 94ºF and someone just spilled juice all over the keyboard.

Okay for Part-Time but upper management is terrible at Fastenal

Former Employee - Sales Support in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Fastenal part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

$10 hourly is not bad for a part-time job while in school.
    Fairly easy entry to get your foot in the door for sales, if that's what you want.

Cons

District managers are terrible and do not support their managers or stores at all. DM's and RVP's consistently tear down their sales people at the store level who do the hard work day in and day out, and then expect success out of us. Company prides itself on the GM's being the "manager of your own business" but in reality they have no control over it and if you're not the District Manager's robot they'll force you out. It's no mystery why Fastenal has a bad reputation for employee dissatisfaction!

Support your stores and sales people and actually help them succeed! Sending threatening emails multiple times a day is what Fastenal has conditioned their District Managers to do... it's not good management!! Maybe, just maybe, point out the positives in store sales growth, margin, etc, instead of pounding nothing but negativity into our heads every day.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal