Fastenal

www.fastenal.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Great place to start, horrible place to stay

Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN
Former Employee - Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to move up if you're a punctual hard worker. Promotions happen fast because nobody stays very long.

Cons

Infested with "corporate culture". No top-down management, which they excuse by claiming that it is "decentralized". If you're salaried, expect to make mid-$30's while working as many hours as they want you to, sometimes weekends, sometimes getting called back in after your shift ended. Very few pleasant people to work with in the DC. They continue to waste money on expensive automated equipment that never works correctly. They will hire any thug off the streets, so if you're a lead or above, don't expect quality employees. Can't blame them though for the part-time, no benefits, and $10/hour with no raises EVER.

Just give up.

755 Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal (View Most Recent)

It's just not what they say it is. Simple as that.

Former Employee - In Store Sales Support in Westerly, RI
    Former Employee - In Store Sales Support in Westerly, RI

I worked at Fastenal part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The store is run however your manager decides. You may get a truck and gas card. Lots of training which you will probably never have time to do, and no one cares if you do it or not. You will learn quickly what kinds of places are going to be run like this quickly. If your savvy you can get rusted items that are supposed to be disposed of for scrap if you ask.

Cons

It's hot , its cold, things don't work, our A/C was turned off due to poor performance, and we worked off of space heaters in the winter (when the breaker didn't trip). Upper management is laughably insane. You may end up spending your days calming down angry people on the phone and cleaning up after a slob, who likes to go fishing on work hours. You will be left to your own devices when you have questions, cell phones don't get answered a lot. Your job description won't really matter. As in store support I was driving around begging for business from people who never heard of us, because they don't advertise. Our store also had a bad reputation before any of the current employees where there, which led to some people totally distrusting us, period. Days would go buy in store and no one would come in, or people would just wander around and buy nothing. We were also instructed that we didn't sell to the home owner and not to waste time with them, because, you know, word of mouth doesn't matter or anything, right?

Don't be shocked if you end up helping a store hours away and not be compensated for your drive, because you took a company vehicle. Your upper management may make sexist, and down right offensive comments when out of ear shot of public, about you or them. I mean, really offensive,even as a guy. BUY A GPS or suffer badly as you will be driving to many locations, some of which aren't even established on a GPS yet. Eventually you will realize unless your area is an industrial sector you will be at the mercy of one or two major accounts, and smaller businesses won't really be interested in you because they discounts don't work right for smaller businesses, which you will pester constantly until they literally tell you to leave.

Don't hire people with one description then have them do something totally different. Don't go tell people they are going to be terminated every week because we can't sell your miserably overpriced products. The vending program confuses people, especially in more rural areas or smaller businesses. If you don't work on commission, frankly no one cares about your sales numbers, especially when the store is 94ºF and someone just spilled juice all over the keyboard.

Good start for sales career

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Sarasota, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Sarasota, FL

I worked at Fastenal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fastenal is interested in developing a strong sales force.
    When you obtain to a position of outside sales you have a lot of autonomy to develop relationships with customers. The company is interested in an employees career development.

Cons

Give employees a more formal training program.

Regional Managers should work more closely with the General store managers to develop a sales team rather than just worrying about the numbers

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal