OVERWORKED/UNDERPAID

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Grand Rapids, MI
Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great sales training and a lot of independence. Flexible for part time employees going to college. Easy to get hired out of college.

Cons

Both salary and hourly employees are expected to work 50 hrs a week with no overtime pay.

Advice to Management

Listen to your salespeople. They are in contact with the customer on a regular basis and know what they want better than you do. Too much turnover of employees is not good for the customer.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you just want to learn and not make money while having weekends and holidays off- this job is for you.

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No weekends unless your store moves- then if you are salaried you are screwed and will work an extra 30 hours that weekend for free- not my definition of a pro. Paid holidays.

Cons

As outside sales- 50 hours, crappy pay, micromanagement, too many 'responsibilities' that take away from your time selling. Very little control of 'selling' to your accounts, little possibility for growth, no 'perks' or incentives beyond a paycheck, they combine your paycheck and commission into one check so you get screwed in taxes, if you aren't in sales- don't worry you won't be held accountable for your job, not wrote up or reprimanded ever even if you get caught falsifying time cards. Corp holds paychecks an extra day or two (paychecks- even direct deposit ) are not consistently distributed on time- I think that they hold paychecks to make more interest of your check. They push and push and threaten you to make you sell vending- but there is no training for it after you sell it. Everyone's answer to every question is 'do a FASTHELP' which is neither fast nor helpful and always a waste of time. Noone in the company knows how to use the words THANK YOU OR GOOD JOB.

Advice to Management

Read the reviews of your company and learn from them. It would be a dangerous company if you values your employees at all- instead of training them to go work for your competition. The whole 3-24 theory is insulting, as well as your newly implemented TEAM BONUS'- how stupid do you think we are?

2. Lured in with false promises and hopes

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Initial 3 month period there is overtime -Driving a Dodge Ram! -Great sales experience; territory management, B2B, cold calling, account managing... all sales experiences here will equate to greater success in the future -Meeting with blue collar customers (more laid back, friendly, outgoing) -Traveling occasionally to locations such as Wynona, MN (loved it there, met many great people that work for the company), Indianapolis, Orlando, etc -Great week long training in Wynona... very informative, will learn many sales techniques

Cons

Where to start... -Poor pay and commission/bonus structure -I was told I would be an outside sales associate, yet I'm stuck working in the store 90% of the time -Horrible upper management that makes false promises -Never able to handle any account that performs over $500 month -I was told branch I'd be going into is successful (it was bottom performing branch) -Managers are often egomaniacal and do not care about their employees -You WILL meet some absolutely rude customers (not Fastenal's fault) -INSULTING christmas bonus (a box of candy? Wow, thanks Fastenal) -Insane amount of competition out there

Advice to Management

Revise pay structure, get more part timers in stores so outside sales associates can do their job properly, make sure that help is available for associates. Bottom line: let outside sales associates do their job.