neutral

Pros

Very decentralized, so you get a fair amount of leeway in how you run your book of business, depending on who your manager and district manager is.

Cons

10 hour days... if you keep your growth up you can make good money... If you hit a wall and stop growing or you have even a bad month your commission decreases GREATLY. You are also responsible for making sure your customers pay their bill. If they go over 90 days delinquent they take the commission back... and even if the customer eventually pays they don't give you the commission back. Also, the way you are scored and paid changes ALOT.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the way branches function, as well as how commission is paid so much.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

1. Never given a chance!!

Former Employee - Sortation in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sortation in Akron, OH

I worked at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first job! Ok pay and conditions good hours and willing to work with your schedule. people do advance there. Someone started at the bottom in 1998 with me and is now 2013 operations manager at one of the largest hubs in U.S.

Cons

I worked there is 1999 (must have been before time clocks were invented) was terminated for falsifying company records. let me explain! We would hand write start, break, lunch, and end times on time sheets daily. There was no clock above or within sight of time sheets. I was let go because someone said i was 9 minutes late and i didn't round up to the next 15 minutes. So there I was in violation of company policy.

Advice to Management

Just be happy I was young and dumb back then. I'm glad I got to see management install a clock above sign in station as I was escorted out of the building.

2. Selfish Rollercoaster Company

Current Employee - Sales Support
    Current Employee - Sales Support

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for college kids.. $14/hr by the time I left.

Cons

-Long days, 7a-5p -No lunch break, sometimes I would go a day without eating because I forgot to pack a lunch and I was the only one in the store -5 walk in customers, 2 lines ringing, and a pile of quotes to part number all at one time, by yourself - It's against company policy to give out work references/referrals. I'm even having a hard time getting them to verify the dates that I worked there. The job really depends on who you work with. If you have co-workers that are lazy, nothing gets done and everything falls on you if you actually care about performance. But why should you? It's not like Fastenal will give you a recommendation or referral. It's against company policy to even verify that you spent 3 years of your life doing their grunt work. If you show any interest in anything outside of Fastenal, they'll use it against you. -Want to graduate and get your MBA? They'll fire you. -Get pregnant? They'll fire you.

Advice to Management

Have at least 1 full time person in addition to the GM for every $50,000 in sales. There should never be a part-time sales support in the store by themselves at any time. In fact, you should NEVER have to work alone.