There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

More ups & and downs than any roller coaster ride

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, you WILL stay busy if your motivated. Great insurance, they provide you with a company truck to make sales calls. Rapid promotion if you have a good head on your shoulders. A lot depends on who you work with. Has the potential to be the #1 industrial supplier in the world.

Cons

Never get paid for all the hours that you work. Corp keeps cutting back labor to the point that it hurts business. Commission requires that you grow at a crazy rate, which is prevented in the long run because they always keep the stores short a employee.

Invest in your stores and watch how fast they grow. You're missing out on huge opportunities because customers see that stores are too understaffed to handle large needs.

641 Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal (View Most Recent)

neutral

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Very decentralized, so you get a fair amount of leeway in how you run your book of business, depending on who your manager and district manager is.

Cons

10 hour days... if you keep your growth up you can make good money... If you hit a wall and stop growing or you have even a bad month your commission decreases GREATLY. You are also responsible for making sure your customers pay their bill. If they go over 90 days delinquent they take the commission back... and even if the customer eventually pays they don't give you the commission back. Also, the way you are scored and paid changes ALOT.

Stop changing the way branches function, as well as how commission is paid so much.

Good Experience

Current Employee - Sales Support in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Support in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Fastenal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good job to have in college. Gave me a broad understanding of distribution. Gained experience in receiving, sourcing, quoting prices, placing orders, delivering products, customer service, and retail. No doubt that this led to my first internship in supply chain.

Cons

7am starts are not fun while in college. Other than that, it really depends on your general manager, and there is a high turnover rate. I worked for three GMs in one year... some I liked working for... some I didn't.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal