There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

More ups & and downs than any roller coaster ride

Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - General Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging, you WILL stay busy if your motivated. Great insurance, they provide you with a company truck to make sales calls. Rapid promotion if you have a good head on your shoulders. A lot depends on who you work with. Has the potential to be the #1 industrial supplier in the world.

Cons

Never get paid for all the hours that you work. Corp keeps cutting back labor to the point that it hurts business. Commission requires that you grow at a crazy rate, which is prevented in the long run because they always keep the stores short a employee.

Advice to Management

Invest in your stores and watch how fast they grow. You're missing out on huge opportunities because customers see that stores are too understaffed to handle large needs.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. neutral

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

Very decentralized, so you get a fair amount of leeway in how you run your book of business, depending on who your manager and district manager is.

Cons

10 hour days... if you keep your growth up you can make good money... If you hit a wall and stop growing or you have even a bad month your commission decreases GREATLY. You are also responsible for making sure your customers pay their bill. If they go over 90 days delinquent they take the commission back... and even if the customer eventually pays they don't give you the commission back. Also, the way you are scored and paid changes ALOT.

Advice to Management

Stop changing the way branches function, as well as how commission is paid so much.

2. Never given a chance!!

Former Employee - Sortation in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Sortation in Akron, OH

I worked at Fastenal part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great first job! Ok pay and conditions good hours and willing to work with your schedule. people do advance there. Someone started at the bottom in 1998 with me and is now 2013 operations manager at one of the largest hubs in U.S.

Cons

I worked there is 1999 (must have been before time clocks were invented) was terminated for falsifying company records. let me explain! We would hand write start, break, lunch, and end times on time sheets daily. There was no clock above or within sight of time sheets. I was let go because someone said i was 9 minutes late and i didn't round up to the next 15 minutes. So there I was in violation of company policy.

Advice to Management

Just be happy I was young and dumb back then. I'm glad I got to see management install a clock above sign in station as I was escorted out of the building.