Former GM

Former Employee - General Manager in New Kensington, PA
Former Employee - General Manager in New Kensington, PA

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

great sales experience, good corporate structure, good benefits Fastenal is a very smart company. Fastenal knows exactly what they need to accomplish to secure that their stock will be successful.

Cons

limited advancement opportunities, micro-managed, compensation dependent, extremely performance based, low end of salary range

Advice to Management

Consolidate branches and incorporate a single territory manager who would be responsible for growing new and existing customer. Web-only sale of products.

Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal

Former general manager

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn right out of college Took what I learned and went into pharmaceutical sales

Cons

7-5, then more Really low pay Understaffed Way to many goals (Vending, Web Actives, Government Account, PPS, Actives, Margin, Freight, Sales, Past Dues, New Accounts, 3PL, Industrial Services, Vendor Appointments, Safety Specialists, Metalcutting Specialists, Vending Specialists) - Can't we just sell. The Christmas bonus really is a box of candy. Been that was all 7 years I was there. Small territories = hard to grow Understaffed again... Price guidance was reason I left. They installed prices to customers that were 3-4 times more expensive than Fastenal's competitors. I had a ton of pissed customers complaining about price, and there was nothing I could do about it. Happy I'm gone.

Advice to Management

Invest in more full time employees/Get rid of Part Time support GET RID OF PRICE GUIDANCE Improve Vending process (Don't force stores to sell them, and then pull them when customer isn't hitting $2000 spend from them) Stock more items at the hubs. Like ALOT more. Don't screw employees by not shipping stuff you have at the hubs. (this happens alot) Improve your website. Grainger, McMasterCarr, MSC all way better. Put your stores in better spots. ADVERTISE

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - District Manager in Reno, NV

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fastenal has been a great place to work and grow as a business person. It's a very fast paced company that innovative company that has strong moral values towards customers and employees. Management is always fair and reasonable.

Cons

Not gonna make $1M a year working for this company, but the right mindset and work ethic will give you a very competitive pay amount.

Advice to Management

Keep developing good people. There's a lot of room for growth and we're going after it.