Fastenal
www.fastenal.com Winona, MN 5000+ Employees

Most frugal company in America and it is reflected in all aspects of the job

General Manager (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

ProsYou will be paid a paycheck
You will learn how to sell in a territory
You are on your own most of the time

ConsPay is extremely low
If you sell a giant bin stock of fasteners, guess who's putting it all together and delivering it? You, the sales guy!
Guess who's making the collection calls? You! The sales guy!
Guess who's cleaning the stores bathrooms? You! The sales guy!
Guess who will be doing 1000 other things besides actually selling, and then asked why your numbers are so low? You of course! The sales guy!
Guess who will be counting the stores inventory every month for cycle counts? You! The sales guy!
It's not really a sales job. It's more like they throw a business at you and say "here, run it" You're supposed to feel honored that you work for a company with "decentralized" decision making when in reality all of the decisions are made up already and you simply are supposed to follow them.

Advice to Senior ManagementYa know, you guys are making a ton of money so you must be doing something right. All I can say is, most of your employees hate working for the company. It feels more like a cult than a business organization. You have to drink the "blue cool aid" in order to keep your job. Just tell them what they want to hear and your job is safe. Always agree with everything they say. In a way, you can sucker them as much as they sucker you. Just nod your head yes to everything.

Low paying, higher ups only see the money going in their pocket.

OUTSIDE SALES (Current Employee)
    Winona, MN

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros: Meeting new contacts, experience in the busibess world, extensive and… Cons: Low paying, only corporate benefits from the work of employees. A holiday bonus paid with a box of candy...new "improved" ideas… Advice to Senior Management: The company says it's concerned with building quality relationships with consumers, but… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Key Account Specialist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros: Easy Work No weekends Get to do your own thing Manager is usually… Cons: Only Managers make good money Managers are sales guys and don't… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Fastenal.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Fastenal reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Fastenal CEO Will Oberton. All reviews posted anonymously by Fastenal employees.