There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

It can be a good experience depending on your general manager and district manager

Former Employee - Sales Support
Former Employee - Sales Support

I worked at Fastenal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great sales experience, customer interactions, account management. The ability to learn how to source almost anything. Learning about inventory management. Most of the promotions are done internally, therefore there is room to grow.

Cons

Managers are not properly trained on how to be an effective manager so your experience will be hit or miss. Pay is below average considering the hours worked. The GM's and DM's are not required to follow a corporate structure and have a lot of autonomy to run their branch or district as they see fit, sometimes unethically.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Building Block

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great relationships within my branch. -Great experience learning how to sell B2B from maintenance, purchasing agents, up to president's of large companies. -A lot of autonomy as far as which customer's will be called upon and how you will sell them. -Opportunity to sell a solution. Our Fastenal Vending machines are very unique in the way we stock them and without an actual contract being signed. -Opportunity to manage a book of business like it was your own.

Cons

-No advancement opportunity in my area -50 hour work week minimum. Note: Working only 50hrs per week(salary) you will not be successful by your 2nd year. -Turn over. I'm the longest standing member at my branch @ 2.5 years. -Pay. Base pay is $2200. $2200/4(weeks)=$550 per week. $550(per week)/55(hours per week)= $10/hr. Note:Granted there is commission ranging from $400 up to infinitive per mo. depending on revenue and vertical growth. But, most likely $400-1200/per mo. in commission is the norm. -55 hours per work week isn't just selling. You are the salesman, the counter clerk, the receiving department, product procurement, vending machine filler, and the accounting department when your sales go past net 30. Wearing multiple hats is an understatement. -Too many directions and those directions are constantly changing. Our new president is returning the company to more simplicity which is a good thing. However, we are still pushing several agendas at once. -No appreciation for a job well done. You sold the highest $ amount in the district in our bounty promotion in August? Cool. But, why can't you do it again in September? -Guys, in conclusion.. this company is made for someone out there who graduated high school or college and wants to work really hard without looking at their opportunity cost. This company will wear you down with their frequent questionable decisions and lack of appreciation.

Advice to Management

Not going to waste any more energy.

2. Long hours low pay

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Fastenal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, but not as much as before

Cons

unrealistic expectations at store level

Advice to Management

realize all stores are not in great territories