Fastenal

www.fastenal.com
  www.fastenal.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Great as a Part Time student job.

Former Employee - Sales Support in Longview, TX
Former Employee - Sales Support in Longview, TX

I worked at Fastenal part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The general manager is not very strict.

Cons

No advancement opportunities. You have to apply for a promotion.

670 Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal (View Most Recent)

Work hard & learn a lot

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You learn how to work hard at something & build something up from nothing. You learn how to avoid becoming bad 'people' managers like they are. It teaches you how to handle complex, stressful situations on a daily basis.

Cons

They pay poorly; don't give raises unless you are a top quartile performing salesman & then argue that you don't need a raise b/c you have performed so well you gave yourself a raise. They exploit by overworking (hrs) & understaffing. They have tremendously unrealistic expectations of, basically, everything.

learn how to care more about the well being of your employees, their pay, training, staffing, number of hours worked

You can learn a lot and make your bosses money.

Former Employee - Sales Support in Rochester, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Rochester, NH

I worked at Fastenal part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's a great place to start out since they will provide you company resources and tests to educate you on all types of fasteners. As well as learning about other companies in the area. If you're in a booming area that can provide sales, you can make a lot on bonuses.

Cons

The part-time pay is not great, $12/hr, usually 18 hours a week max. Full-timers will be fighting over sales with each other in hopes of getting a bonus instead of working together with other employees. If you're area's economy is suffering, you'll be struggling to obtain a bonus. When I worked too hard as a part-timer, they wouldn't open up the full-time slot because they would have to pay me more then, as well as give me benefits, and then the managers would lose their bonus on keeping costs down.

Then even though they wouldn't open up the full-time slot to me until after I gave my notice I was leaving, they wouldn't allow a work schedule to be work friendly with another part-time job. It was an unpredictable weekly schedule focused around the full-timers desires if they wanted to get out early or come in late, which varied week to week. It was as if by trying to obtain another part-time job was a slap in the face to Fastenal, but yet they wouldn't increase your hours to bring home a decent pay check.

Work more with your employees and create an environment where people see rewards for working hard.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal