There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager in Trenton, NJ
Former Employee - General Manager in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are only a few... As a general manager at Fastenal you are exposed to every aspect of running a business. To be successful you must be able to manage your sales team, manage your part time employees, manage and grow your book of business, be able to collect money from past due accounts, contact vendors and create purchase orders, run the retail part of the business. Some of the people I worked with are good people, others not so much.

Cons

MARGIN?!!!?! It is a mystery as to how your commissions are calculated. A phrase I heard a lot at district and regional meetings is "Smoke and mirrors". I had the pleasure of having a district manager that had no idea as to what he was doing. He was almost impossible to reach when you actually needed him. Another con would be that weekly the parts you have ordered from the hub either arrive damaged or dont arrive at all. Micro managing is huge in this company. Nothing is ever good enough, you could have record sales and margin and the bosses would find something else that could use improvement. Was never recognized for any accomplishment. Also, dont give your employees a box full of junk food for a "Christmas bonus". To be honest I'd rather have nothing. Just a POS company.

Pay your people better. You get what you pay for... If you only pay your sales reps and GMs a low salary, compared to competitors, and dont have a defined commission structure you are going to have a high turnover. Which the company doesnt seem to care about because this issue is never addressed. And when it is brought up the answers given are shallow and they try to get off that subject quickly. When your company is bringing in record sales numbers for the month and quarter, dont give us a towel.

634 Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal (View Most Recent)

Fastenal is a frugal and -subsequently- very cheap employer to work for.

I worked at Fastenal

Pros

The biggest pro -at least in my experience- was that the store I was at DID adhere to a 45 hour work week. None of this "we're here 'til the job is done" stuff, because the job (as most jobs are) is never done. I also did enjoy the few co-workers I had directly working with me.

Cons

They burn you out real quick. Their commission structure is absolutely atrocious. The only way you can move up to a corporate position is by becoming a RM or moving to Winona, MN. Their employment strategy is to hire right out of college because you need a job and when you're fresh out, you're dumb enough to work for peanuts and not burned out from anywhere (probably.) They literally have 1,000,000 different part numbers in their system, so get used to customers knowing far more about every product they're looking for than you do (thus, sales are hard to make.) Also, you'll never memorize their products, so it's a difficult position to get really good at, except the nuts and bolts part.

Treat your employees more humanely, don't be so cheap that there's little motivation to grow your sales territory, and don't screw over the hard workers in your company. Granted, after about a year I was done with them and so I WAS NOT one of those workers after that, but I know others who were hard workers for a lot longer than I was there, who ended up being extremely screwed by people higher up the corporate ladder.

No Culture, No Fun, Low Pay, Long Hours, Generally Depressing.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can stick out a few years of the day-to-day grind of being a pee-on you can get promoted to being a pee-on that gets to pee on a few other people.

Cons

This company lives to please its stock holders and that is it. The company does that absolute bare minimum for its employees and its always looking for ways to do less.

One day your poor treatment of employees will catch up with you and it will greatly impact your bottom line. Until that happens enjoy giving the same passionless speeches about margin and growth.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal