There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager  in  Trenton, NJ
Former Employee - General Manager in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Fastenal full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are only a few... As a general manager at Fastenal you are exposed to every aspect of running a business. To be successful you must be able to manage your sales team, manage your part time employees, manage and grow your book of business, be able to collect money from past due accounts, contact vendors and create purchase orders, run the retail part of the business. Some of the people I worked with are good people, others not so much.

Cons

MARGIN?!!!?! It is a mystery as to how your commissions are calculated. A phrase I heard a lot at district and regional meetings is "Smoke and mirrors". I had the pleasure of having a district manager that had no idea as to what he was doing. He was almost impossible to reach when you actually needed him. Another con would be that weekly the parts you have ordered from the hub either arrive damaged or dont arrive at all. Micro managing is huge in this company. Nothing is ever good enough, you could have record sales and margin and the bosses would find something else that could use improvement. Was never recognized for any accomplishment. Also, dont give your employees a box full of junk food for a "Christmas bonus". To be honest I'd rather have nothing. Just a POS company.

Pay your people better. You get what you pay for... If you only pay your sales reps and GMs a low salary, compared to competitors, and dont have a defined commission structure you are going to have a high turnover. Which the company doesnt seem to care about because this issue is never addressed. And when it is brought up the answers given are shallow and they try to get off that subject quickly. When your company is bringing in record sales numbers for the month and quarter, dont give us a towel.

608 Other Employee Reviews for Fastenal (View Most Recent)

Too corporate

Former Employee - Sales Support  in  Sterling Heights, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Sterling Heights, MI

I worked at Fastenal part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly environment, learned a lot about the fastner industry

Cons

The company is too bureaucratic, my hours were drastically cut even though my boss loved me and wanted to give me more hours. Once the decision is made from Winona, MD to cut part-timers, there is nothing you can do.

Practice what you preach: decentralized decision-making

Great for Part of the Time

I have been working at Fastenal

Pros

-Great starting pay for part-time employees in comparison to other opportunities, almost two dollars over minimum wage
    -Learning opportunity to better understand industrial supplies

Cons

-Management
    -Ceiling to advancement
    -Different personalities in direct management, wanted different production

Continue allowing stores to address their locations independently. During my departure, adjustments were being made company-wide that didn't apply to every area.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!