Fastenal

www.fastenal.com

General Manager

General Manager (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ

ProsThere are only a few... As a general manager at Fastenal you are exposed to every aspect of running a business. To be successful you must be able to manage your sales team, manage your part time employees, manage and grow your book of business, be able to collect money from past due accounts, contact vendors and create purchase orders, run the retail part of the business. Some of the people I worked with are good people, others not so much.

ConsMARGIN?!!!?! It is a mystery as to how your commissions are calculated. A phrase I heard a lot at district and regional meetings is "Smoke and mirrors". I had the pleasure of having a district manager that had no idea as to what he was doing. He was almost impossible to reach when you actually needed him. Another con would be that weekly the parts you have ordered from the hub either arrive damaged or dont arrive at all. Micro managing is huge in this company. Nothing is ever good enough, you could have record sales and margin and the bosses would find something else that could use improvement. Was never recognized for any accomplishment. Also, dont give your employees a box full of junk food for a "Christmas bonus". To be honest I'd rather have nothing. Just a POS company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people better. You get what you pay for... If you only pay your sales reps and GMs a low salary, compared to competitors, and dont have a defined commission structure you are going to have a high turnover. Which the company doesnt seem to care about because this issue is never addressed. And when it is brought up the answers given are shallow and they try to get off that subject quickly. When your company is bringing in record sales numbers for the month and quarter, dont give us a towel.

No Culture, No Fun, Low Pay, Long Hours, Generally Depressing.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Denver, CO

I have been working at Fastenal full-time for more than a year

Pros: If you can stick out a few years of the day-to-day grind of being a pee-on… Cons: This company lives to please its stock holders and that is it. The company does… Advice to Senior Management: One day your poor treatment of employees will catch up with you and it will greatly… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Fastenal is a frugal and -subsequently- very cheap employer to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Fastenal

Pros: The biggest pro -at least in my experience- was that the store I was at DID adhere to a 45 hour work week. None of… Cons: They burn you out real quick. Their commission structure is absolutely atrocious. The only way you can move up to a corporate position is by… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees more humanely, don't be so cheap that there's little motivation to grow your sales territory, and don't screw over the hard workers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Fastenal.

Worked for Fastenal? Contribute to the Community!