There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal

Learned a lot and a lot about myself

Former Employee - Account Specialist
Former Employee - Account Specialist

I worked at Fastenal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are persistent, thorough and work hard it is hard to not be succesful
time off is not bad
endless tools at your disposal to make your job easier if you know where to look
potential for good commissions if you are in or near a big city

Cons

everyone has to start part time-if that isnt a slap in the face to a new hire I dont know what is
being passed over for a promised promotion is not uncommon
when things go bad, it seemed that the culture of the company focused on doom and gloom and scare tactics

In my experience the majority of upper management are great at what they do and are more often than not interested in the development of their reports. Unfortunately it was obvious that sometimes upper management got where they were by only looking out for number 1 when the time came

reviews filtered by

Good company if you're a Sales Associate or OSP...

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Fastenal full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Promotion from within.

Flexible work schedule.

Cons

General Managers work 60hrs a week and I'm absolutely miserable. We are understaffed, as many stores are, with high turn over rate for part-time help.

Fastenal has their hands in too many different avenues of sales and it's overwhelming to sell every category. On top of the massive amounts of product, the nature of "in-house" tasks that need to be done daily weigh down the average employee and slows down an already understaffed store.

Being understaffed means employees never get a break. 10hr straight days with not even 15mins to breathe.

Pay could be better. For 60hrs a week, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Communication in proper training is poor. Very, very poor.

The technology that drives Fastenal is really, really, really old. Windows Server 2003 is what drives this company. The POS system is filled with useless things and old ideas that have failed. FASTNET is a graveyard for outdated information.

Pay employees from the overall district instead of branch revenue. This would allow for better staffed stores. Take the burden off district managers as being the sole hiring manager. They already have too much on their plate. UPDATE YOUR TECHNOLOGY PAST 2003.

2. Good gig if you haven't got a degree.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Support in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Support in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Fastenal part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff, good customer base, generally can make your own schedule.

Cons

Corporate decides to implement programs without any word to it's store level employees, transportation system can be horrendous.

There are newer employer reviews for Fastenal