Package Handler is a great job in the early morning for those who function well or can't work other hours

Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler  in  Bangor, ME
Former Employee - Part Time Package Handler in Bangor, ME

I worked at FedEx Ground part-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty good job security as long as you show up for your shifts. Weekly pay for non-management. It can definitely be a good workout. I once destroyed a paycheck in my pocket from sweating through my clothing working so hard. Some facilities use the 3 call-ins/tardies/no shows rule/s differently, some allowing a total of any 3 a month before you are terminated, others allowing 3 each which is very lenient. Most jobs are strict about not showing up and this is no exception in most places. I did see one person fired for tardiness, but I was bad about it during my last month there and they were still sad to see me go. The job is early which can be hard and things happen so you might not always be on time. This is a great job for parents, college students, night owls and other early risers. Benefits after 1000 hours worked (which can take a long time at as little as 15 hours a week however). I can't speak to how the benefits are, but they do offer paid vacation after a year. I may have a lot to say in the cons section below, but I have rated a lot of things positively and miss working there in a lot of ways. If you leave for whatever reason they will usually take you back, especially if you give them notice.

Cons

As with many jobs in the industry if you work really hard and fast they will reward you by giving you the work your slower coworkers can't manage. You are expected to follow the "hand to surface" method of moving packages, which would be great if the speed they expect you to work at would allow this all the time. The supervisor's switch out people's positions on the unload even if things are working fine. Girls were rarely asked to do much manual labor. They most often scanned and sorted. The technology is outdated and frequently malfunctions causing unload times to increase and make the employees look bad. Training videos are hugely outdated.

The Bangor facility is very outdated, but a facility is being built in Hermon (nearby) soon, which will likely improve a lot of the aspects of the job I had issue with. These include equipment being metal so with dry hands (from the dirt on the cardboard and cold in the winter) you can easily cut your hands on it. There is no return belt, so if you miss a package for your truck/s (which can often come in large waves for a single bulk stop because they stack best on the trailer that way and thus come off that way) it goes down to the end and has to be loaded onto a cart, carted back to the start of the load belt and put up again (often while there are more packages coming, compounding the issue). This causes people to take extra time and set packages down next to the truck so they don't have to be carted back (and you be criticized by the person carting them, often someone with 3+ trucks to load and other responsibilities), sometimes burying themselves. "Incompatibles" have to be carted or carried by hand, which with the current setup is difficult.

Invest in more reliable technology. Update your facilities and practices, it will increase employee satisfaction and retention, saving money in the end. It seems this is happening with the new facility and I am happy for the employees that remain there and hope it increases their job satisfaction. Listen to employee feedback and consider making changes.