There are newer employer reviews for FedEx Ground

Good Job when you get paid by the hour like a real job! (by a temp agency) Vs a contractor

Former Employee - FedEx Home Delivery Driver South & Central NJ Areas Only
Former Employee - FedEx Home Delivery Driver South & Central NJ Areas Only

I worked at FedEx Ground

Pros

You get to sort & load your own van in a sequential order for Home Delivery (Vs Ground's pre-loaded vehicles that you don't even get a delivery manifest of what's in your vehicle)

So you know that every package you loaded to your own vehicle will be accounted for and on your delivery manifest / scanner & will be attempted on the first day!

If you are not working for a temp agency that pays you by the hour (+ time and a half for over time), you will not get paid for loading / sorting your own parcels into your van!

Driving to your first location and driving back to the warehouse when done is paid for by the temp agency (but when you're under a subcontractor, you will not get paid for this extra time on the road)

Meeting various customers (and their pets) who orders stuff online will be here to stay. I enjoy giving them the "purple promise" year after year for the past 6 years of doing this temp job.

This branch of FedEx Ground does ~90% residences and 10% business addresses.
Ground is the other way around and usually finishes earlier because most businesses are closed by 5-6pm

The management and package handlers that I've dealt with are also top notch in the 2 HUBS that i was working in, so no complaints there.

Cons

As a Temp Driver, you don't get to drive the FedEx Home Delivery logo with the dog with a box in it's mouth... subcontractors own/ maintain / insure those stepvans out of their own pockets!

Instead, you get to drive a GM ford freightliner cargo vans from a rental agency instead.

So when some customers think that Budget or Enterprise or Ryder does logistics, I have to inform them that FedEx doesn't have enough stepvans for the holiday demand.

Other than that, I feel sorry for the regular drivers that doesn't get paid by the hour; they're forced to go fast and sometimes cut corners in their service, by not taking full care of the customer's packages to keep it safe from possible theft or from the weather.

Some of them work up to 14 hours per day & will not get paid overtime for it (I averaged 10-12 hours per day during the holiday season & was compensated for it with overtime)

A manager thought I was "milking the clock" I offered him to do a ride along to see that it takes about ~3 hours total round trip to get from the terminal to the first stop & then back to the terminal when done. (driving within the safe speed limits & I do drive by 3 school zones en route to my first stop). I can't do 20 stops per hour like some veterans that knows their area like the back of their hand! 10-15 stops per hour is OK according to fellow drivers.

But, the management didn't do a ride along to confirm this; they just let me go. like all other Temp drivers in this field-- we are just let go like used tissue paper. If they have kept the good temp drivers as supplemental drivers on a steady work basis, I would be there all year round, but they don't.

With all the training provided by FedEx, you think they would keep the good temp drivers as permanent supplemental drivers since it cost money to find & train workers every year for this type of job. Not everyone can drive those big step vans without having an accident.

The management I've dealt with on the terminals in my area are top notched & really care about the drivers in the building; both Temp and Regulars! Keep up the good work (central & south; north jersey is not being mentioned because I don't live close enough to try and work there)

Bring back pretzel day! and keep those quarterly driver appreciation BBQ feasts coming!

562 Other Employee Reviews for FedEx Ground (View Most Recent)

Great Pay and Benefits, But You Work Hard for Them.

Former Employee - Service Manager, PT
    Former Employee - Service Manager, PT

I worked at FedEx Ground

Pros

Great pay and benefits. This company promotes from within and they really take notice if you work hard, no matter what level you start at. They will train you, and give you constant feedback on your job performance. They are also extremely supportive of your education, and strongly encourage everyone to have a four year degree, helping with tuition for some job titles.

Cons

You have to work very hard. Often, you are working well over your scheduled hours to get your tasks completed. Communication between upper and lower management could really use some improvement.

Management is doing a great job. Their work is very stressful and demanding and they seem to meet the challenge and still support their employees with positive reinforcement and support.

Great job with a lot of room for growth!

I have been working at FedEx Ground

Pros

There is a lot of room for growth in this company. They give young adults a chance to step up to the plate and do something more than flipping burgers.

Cons

The majority of the time new hires are part time. Unfortunately it remains that way until you get promoted. Building gets really hot when hot and really cold when cold.

I am satisfied with management. Always listening to their employees and giving out water bottles and coffee for the graveyard shift.

There are newer employer reviews for FedEx Ground

Worked for FedEx Ground? Contribute to the Community!