There are newer employer reviews for FedEx

Fedex- great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at FedEx

Pros

As secure a job as you can get in todays environment. Opportunities exist for internal job movement when things are going good.

Cons

Ironically, some of the positives outlined above - job security makes people complacent and examples of seat-warmers are abundant.

Advice to Management

Institutionalize performance-based trimming of fat to survive the next decade of competition and opportunities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

FEDEX IS CHANGING! IT IS THE COMPANY OF YESTERDAY! THE ORGANIZATION NO LONGER VALUES THEIR EMPLOYEES

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I worked at FedEx

Pros

FedEx was a great place to work. When I came to work for this company, I truly believed that it was an organization that cared about their employees. I thought it was a company where I could advance, grow and use the full range of my educational abillities. Unfortunately, after working for the company for almost 5 years, I have discovered that things are changing greatly at FedEx. FedEx is not a company that cares about their employees. I understand that the economic conditions are impacting this organization. However, I was very disappointed when the news revealed that I would be receiving a pay deduction before I was aware. To make matters worse, I opened an e-mail to read about the changes that would be effective immediately. I had to call my manager for clarification. This information was not proactively provided to me. What a disappointment? Did the company care about me? I wanted notification so that I could make the necessary adjustments and pay. To add insult to injury, the press release said that the pay deduction would be permenant and I would not receive a merit increase in 2009. I would be a little more accepting if the company was committed to bringing me back up to the my current salary level after the economic situation improves. There was no commitment. Health insurance costs continue to increase as well. I cannot think of a good reason to work for FedEx, now.

Cons

If you are working as a Field Account Executive, you are in a deadend career. There are very few promotion opportunities until you know someone or play the "kiss your- you know what" game. Educations, sales success - it does not really matter. Also, the requirements of even advancing to the next grade level is nearly impossible.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should not forget the value that their people bring to the table. Good and dedicated employee are what made FedEx what it is today. When you lose sight of your employees and the value that they bring to the table, in the end, FedEx will not be successful.

Could be a great job if you know what you are getting in to...

Former Employee - World Wide Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - World Wide Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at FedEx

Pros

In sales, there is a relative sense of job security even when you are not that good. There are nice benefits like car stipends and insurance.

Cons

If you really want to succeed you simply must become like those above you. While they may say they want people who "think-outside-the-box" I really don't think they really understand what that means. Senior management in the -+55 age range are stifling growth and causing real talent to leave. They would rather you go through the formalities and become a box checker as opposed to questioning why things are done how they are. They are building the future based on the ideas of the past that have succeeded with no variation for today's world. Middle management lacks any real backbone when it comes to allowing senior management to understand what is really going on. You can come in as a great thinker with great ideas but you will soon see others getting promoted simply because they are more like the person above them. The performance review is really somewhat of a joke.

Advice to Management

Take a true team approach as opposed the appearance of one. Learn what the sales force goes through on a daily basis not just what you perceive is happening.