FedEx

www.fedex.com

Looking For A Sales Career~Do Not Work Here

Field Account Executive (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsUnfortunately, FedEx has changed a great deal over the course of the last several years. Unfortunately, the cons outweigh the pros. If you are thinking that it is a blessing to have a job in this tight economy maybe you will look at the pros. A sales career is not an ideal position for any college graduate looking to advance with this corporation. Let's look at the pros of a sales career at FedEx.

1) Flexiability - but this is true of sales professions at many corporations across America.

2) Stability- If you work for FedEx in a sales role (like UPS), it is highly unlikely that you will be laid-off. Sales people are revenue driving force in the organization. FedEx and UPS (I have worked for both) recognize this; therefore, it is unlikely you will lose your job due to the economy.

3) Overall, FedEx has a good insurance package. The dental is not competitive. You can purchase a better dental insurance package from an outside company that offers a better plan and the same cost or a little less.

4) FedEx is one of the few companies offers their employees a pension. The organization is reinstating the 401K match. It was suspended during the recession.

5) FedEx does not like to lay-off employees. Unfortunately, the economy has caused some lay-offs. However, FedEx does so when the organization has no other option. Compared to many companies, layoffs have been very low during the recession. In this respect, FedEx does care about their employees.

ConsWorking as a field Account Executive at FedEx is a low-paying thank less job. The salary would be fair if you were working a 40-45 hour a week job. If you are going to be an effective sales person by hitting your numbers and closing new business, you will work long hours. This might not be a problem if you are compensated for your efforts.

Also, the job does not really require that an individual work as long if management allowed their employees to manage their time effectively to get the tasks completed to get new packages “on the belt.” There is a lot of administrative work. The FedEx internal systems are low and outdated. If the sales employees were hourly, I am certain that the organization would work on streamlining many of their internal processes to save their employees time and to make the job easier.

FedEx does not believe that their sales people are intelligent individuals who can make business decisions. This can be seen by how they manage their people. Your focus is not just sales. You are the customer service person for every account in your territory even for account that you do not receive commission for… FedEx has the practice of giving the Sales Executive cell phone to everyone… Any person who finds your card will be calling you. It was ridiculous. The list of problems with this position goes on and on.

If you want to have a life outside of FedEx, do not apply here. If you want to spend time with your family, do not apply here. If you want to spend your evenings watching television while working on FedEx pricing contracts or responding to e-mails almost every night of the week, then this is the JOB for you.

I do not mind hard work. I was an effective sales person… BUT PAY ME FOR MY EDUCATION, PROFESSIONALISM, TIME AND EFFORT! This is truly the JOB from HELL! For those you read this post, I was not a poor performer. I always had good reviews and brought on large accounts. I attempted to give this company my best during the time I was employed there and make the best of a BAD situation until a new door opened. It is not worst it!

In addition, to all of these problems, the promotion process is nearly impossible within sales department. As an account executive, you can only be promoted to a sales executive (which is the same position with a new title). Your pay increases significantly, but the requirements change almost yearly and the company makes it almost impossible to get promoted. There are a very limited number of corporate and worldwide account manager positions. People who have those positions rarely resign or quit. When one becomes available everyone is trying… promotion regardless of work ethic is nearly impossible. UPS promotes their people fairly; FedEx does not. I have worked for both… At UPS, I was respected and treated like the educated individual that I am. At FedEx, I was a robot without a brain.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to regional directors of field account and sales executives... Listen to your employees. Most the regional director have not worked as the field AE. You really need to get an understanding of what is happening at the field level. This is not a cookie-cutter job and you cannot effectively manage your people like it is one.

If the economy were better, I know that many of your employees would be gone. Many people are merely tolerating this situation while praying for another door to open. You will continue to lose your talent because you fail to respect your people and believe that they are intelligent individuals who can do the job! You lost a good one here. I will an asset for another organization.

I loved this company and should have never left

Manager Administrative (Former Employee) Jamaica, NY

I worked at FedEx

Pros: Amazing company with direct and indirect benefits. I planned on having a job for life but then things changed.… Cons: Outside of headquarters opportunities are limited but if you are… Advice to Senior Management: Keep up the good work, I enjoyed get Bravo Zulo's- I felt… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Nice job.

Senior Marketing Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at FedEx

Pros: Good work and life balance. Position is neither boring… Cons: work can sometimes be monotonous and repetitive. Advice to Senior Management: None. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on FedEx.

Worked for FedEx? Contribute to the Community!