There are newer employer reviews for Federal Government

In some areas it is very fullfilling but lacking the potential for personal achivement

Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Program Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Government

Pros

Solid, stable working environment with execellent benifits and work-life oppertunities, very diverse projects and a multitiude of job functions.

Cons

Not the best place for personal achivement. Overachivers will find it difficult to stay with current inability to reward for extra work performed.

Reform pay and review system to encourage low preformers and reward higher performers.

reviews filtered by
  1. its been interesting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Government

Pros

flexible, and very family friendly. I get great work and really get to impact society. my agency is really cool

Cons

the red tape is killer. it takes exponentially longer to do anything in the federal government then it does elsewhere

2. Satisfactory benefits and salary, not an effective career ladder

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Government

Pros

The work is almost always interesting, challenging and important. You can't say that everywhere you work. I am never bored.

Cons

Despite reports to the contrary, many federal employees actually work long hours. The pace in some offices can be grueling, and of course there is little in the way of overtime, etc. The most frustrating aspect is the inability to move ahead based on performance. Budget constraints and management decisions can have a big impact on career trajectory.

Don't be disdainful of those that want a federal career (the view of some political appointees). Support that decision and realize that you want the cream to rise to the top through promotions and more strategic placement of employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Federal Government