Federal Government

www.usa.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Federal Government

Excellent career move

I have been working at Federal Government

Pros

The work life balance is great, the best I have ever experienced. Even though I am not putting in 60 hours a week like I was in the privates sector I feel like I get more accomplished in the 40 hours a week I work. Overall the people are great and take their job seriously, plus because most people are with the Federal Government for the long haul you really get a chance to develop some close friendships and working relationships. Great benefits: time off, federal holidays, sick leave and the retirement package can't be beat.

Cons

In the IT field the salaries a little bit lower than the private sector, but the "Pros" more than make up for it. Frustration with red tape, but again that is outweighed by the "Pros". The only way to get promoted is to change jobs.

Listen to the people doing the work prior to making major policy changes to the way we work and IT solutions that are going to be implemented. Differing opinions are a good thing, you don't know it all.

438 Other Employee Reviews for Federal Government (View Most Recent)

Program Manager

Current Employee - Program Manager in Patuxent River, MD
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Patuxent River, MD

I have been working at Federal Government full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stability, good people, good work

Cons

More time based than merit based progression

My experience was less stellar than expected.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Federal Government full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The quality of professionals you work with, in terms of expertise and integrity, is generally of the highest caliber.
    -Government benefits are awesome.
    -Hard work is rewarded.

Cons

-Some government employees are entrenched in positions that they are no longer qualified for.
    -Promotions can be very political and fraught with "who knows who."
    -People in positions of power can often become tyrannical and no one can do anything about it.

-Leaders in positions of power should not be allowed to bully less senior employees, yet it happens more frequently than management realize.
    -Weed out corruption and fight against "the good old boy" syndrome, which is alive and thriving in the federal government.
    -Create an effective performance evaluation system, so that non-performance is not rewarded.

There are newer employer reviews for Federal Government