Federal Reserve Board

www.federalreserve.gov

Beware

Financial Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsPrestige (for what it's worth), adjacent to National Mall, OK cafeteria, annual leave, insurance (health, dental, vision), raises available (but if you are not one of the 20% "high performers", you will tread water economically with low raises with 70% of the staff at the "commendable" (nice way of saying average) level.)

ConsPerformance evaluations (that is, the dreadful so-called PMP) use the forced distribution, or "rank and yank" method. Google it; forewarned is forearmed. A set percentage are given bad reviews, with encouragement to quit. The internal webpage shows no one gets below commendable; do not believe it. The entire performance evaluation system is a true insult to workers who bravely try to meet impossible-to-satisfy expectations. Again, my fellow human beings--beware.

[To employees (current and future): As low-level managers will be taking notes for the PMP on computer, you must make sure to ask for a copy of any managerial documentation with your name on it. If denied, make note of the denial. Also, take assignments, do well on them, write a success list (for your own eyes only) so that you can update your resume and leave at will. Your heart, soul, and mind will thank you when you leave the building for the last time.]

Resistance to necessary change. Just because it worked in 1970 does not mean the exact practice must continue in the Internet era.

Excessive division between PHD and non-PHD staff. PHD staff advances; the rest languish.

Advice to Senior ManagementComplete transparency (that is, sunshine) should be standard operating procedure. Employees have a right to know if managers are making adverse decisions about their careers behind closed doors with a outside facilitator.

Forced distribution ultimately will cause systemic failure, requiring congressional attention to fix the mess.

Incompetent and lazy colleagues + bully managers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Federal Reserve Board full-time

Pros: If you like not doing real work, you can get by. This one guy in our department shipped 2 lines of code in… Cons: Almost every employee at the Board is either lazy or incompetent. Examples of laziness: 1. Taking a two hour lunch break PLUS 1 hour coffee break… Advice to Senior Management: I have no real advice for you, because you'd never follow it anyway. You're too concerned with looking good, playing nice to your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Very relaxed work environment

Research Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

I have been working at Federal Reserve Board full-time for more than a year

Pros: Easy transition from college to work environment Cons: Can get a bit boring Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Federal Reserve Board.

Worked for Federal Reserve Board? Contribute to the Community!