Federal Reserve Board

www.federalreserve.gov

Great place for interns

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - IT Intern in Washington, DC

Pros

REAL work, Great work life balance, not too stressful

Cons

None. The intern program is well thought out.

The intern program is good. Especially

Other reviews for Federal Reserve Board

Can't beat the view

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

No Title 5 to worry about, so sequestration does not affect us. Benefits are through the roof (have never seen a retirement package and 401k/thrift plan as generous). Salaries are respectable, but lag other Federal Regulators (FDIC, OCC, CFPB) by 25%. Work-Life balance is excellent and family indeed comes first. Plenty of training and developmental opportunities available, just need to ask. Has been a fair amount of churn in leadership and division officers that "we've always done it this way" is on it's way out the door. The culture is collegial and the only employees referred to by title are the seven Governors; everyone else is first-name basis.

Cons

As mentioned, the salaries are lower than other regulators and promotions can be tough as there are few manager and officer spots available due to the flatness of the Board. The pace is excruciatingly slow for anyone coming from private sector and can be enough to drive someone to quit. Almost every decision requires a consensus vote and generating support can take months, if not years. This covers everything from volunteering for a team (you need permission from your boss) to passing out cash awards (consensus votes) to major changes in operational policies (requires so many approvals you ask yourself if it's worth the trouble).

Let your managers and supervisors manage; get them away from day-to-day tasks that staff can do. You tell me I'm budgeted at X% of salary for cash awards, yet no one can tell me how I earn that. And why, oh why, do you sit on this until December? If I hit a homerun in April, what are you waiting for? Also, you are overstaffed. Too many people sitting around waiting for something to do.

Great learning experience

Pros

Talented colleagues with diverse skill sets, good pay, supportive managers/officers, decent work-life balance, and unlimited access to valuable resources (including tech), imminent move to farragut west offices

Cons

lack of over-time pay, mediocre cafeteria, turnover, under-staffing issues, lack of parking and transportation to and from the board

There are newer employer reviews for Federal Reserve Board.

Worked for Federal Reserve Board? Contribute to the Community!