Used to be a better place to work

I have been working at Federated Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fully funded pension, some good benefits, depending on which program you are hired under you could have very good training, new CEO that came on board is more realistic when it comes to company spending and company goals and has been at the company over 30 years

Cons

Does not value their employees - treats them as a commodity. Health insurance benefits are substandard and the employee health insurance program doesn't cover a lot. Slow to make changes, upper management continually says they like to "think inside the box". Pay is slightly below industry average, benefits really lack compared to the industry or companies of this size. Very conservative values that, for a lack of a better way to put it, are good ol' boy ways. Their actions make it seem like the company is headed for a bad financial outlook.

Instead of saying "people, people, people", act on it and treat employees like you actually value what they do for you.

Other Reviews for Federated Insurance

Friendly Office Environment

Former Employee - Business Account Underwriter  in  Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Account Underwriter in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Benefits, Fair Salary, Excellent Management, Friendly Coworkers

Cons

Location on westside isn't for everyone

Don't change a thing. Management has excellent communication with employees, always worked towards positive solutions for everyone.

Great Company but you have to be 100% committed or you will fail

Former Employee - Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Federated Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The have the best training in the industry hand down. Starting Salary for a Marketing Rep is amazing for someone just out of college. The benefits and retirement package are top notch. The invest a lot of money in their employees and do not want to see you fail. The have industry recommendations which definitely give you a foot in the door when cold calling and cultivating prospects. I very much enjoyed my management and the people I worked with in my District. They have wonderful incentives trips to Hawaii/Australia, cruises, etc.

Cons

They have some out of date practice. They are slow to change. Unfortunately, being a direct writer underwriting has all the control. Federated's underwriting standards and documents required just to quote is absolutely over kill and scares a lot of prospects. Our rates were out of the ball game 19/20 times. The have been giving large increases on customers that have been with us for 10+ years with no claims. Like I said you have to be completely committed to sales and insurance, if you have any reservations do not take the job. If you go through the longer training program you have no certainty of where you will be placed. I was hired out of one city and was put in a city over 3 hours from where I initially thought I would be hired, killed my motivation a little right there.

Get with the times, use technology better. Trust the marketing reps a little more and you will be much more profitable. Get rid of the old laptops and move to tablets it will be much more effective for your reps.

There are newer employer reviews for Federated Insurance.

Worked for Federated Insurance? Contribute to the Community!