www.ferris.edu

Ferris State University Office Manager

Current Employee - Office Manager in Big Rapids, MI
Current Employee - Office Manager in Big Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University

Pros

It is really a community environment at Ferris State University. The small town makes for an environment where it is easy to get to know people. They are flexible with time off and half days when you need to take care of personal business.

Cons

The small town can sometimes limit people in their personal and professional growth. There is a limit to how far you can go at a University of this size.

They can do a better job of providing assistants to departments in need. I know they do a lot of shifting around to save jobs but leave some departments hanging with out a lot of support for the department.

20 Other Employee Reviews for Ferris State University (View Most Recent)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Big Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Big Rapids, MI

I have been working at Ferris State University

Pros

Some managers are flexible and respectful regarding work/home time.

Cons

Not paid what you're worth.

Promote individuals to supervisor ONLY when they have the aptitude to lead and manage.

Not the ideal place to work, even for a university cafeteria.

I worked at Ferris State University part-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, work around school schedule. Close to campus, walking distance from many of the dorms. Extremely easy to get in, no interview, just have to fill out some paperwork.

Cons

Often drama because most employees are college students. Management is not very helpful and often in a bad mood, tend to play favorites and sometimes rude to the student employees. Boring and often tedious work. No room for advancement, no raises, pay is not what it should be for the workload. Minimum wage unless you are a student supervisor. Often stressful. Strict rule for a cafeteria, must wear black shirt underneath work coat, no painted nails, no facial piercings, only two piercings allowed on ears, no earrings larger than a dime. Even if you are not working with customers. Have to wear this hideous black hat with flames that tends to get in the way. Their motto: "Breaks are a privilege." Yes, you may work 6 hours and not get a break. Occasionally have screw-ups when it comes to switching hours with other students. Even if someone signs off that they are taking your shift it's possible you'll still get blamed if they don't show up. They're organization needs work, too. They still called me for a week after I quit asking why I wasn't at work. You think they'd write it down somewhere that I no longer worked there.

Be less strict, it's a college cafeteria. Most of the people who see the workers are other college students. Also, treat all employees fairly, no favorites, and maybe act like you actually like being at work.

There are newer employer reviews for Ferris State University