Fhlb Boston

www.fhlbboston.com
  www.fhlbboston.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fhlb Boston

Deskilled, demotivated, overworked and underappreciated

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fhlb Boston full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some good people to work with.

Cons

As you can judge from the comments of other reviewers, the FHLB Boston is one of the most boring and depressing (the environment, the culture, and upper management), deskilling and demotivating (if you are coming from a place where you are used to being intellectually challenged and learning more things and acquiring more skills as you go, beware this is definitely not for you. You would be robotized, demotivated, and depressed by the time you leave this place) and corrupt (almost most senior management, the CEO and Board members have known each other for over 20 years and hook each other and their friends’ kids on a regular basis. I know an individual who was on the chopping board but was saved due to his relationship with the FORMER CEO and some similar examples). I don’t want to be redundant but I want to emphasize again that it is one of the most depressing places I have ever worked. More three fourth of the 250 employees here genuinely hate it for all the reasons I mentioned and maybe more.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Fhlb Boston (View Most Recent)

High job security, good/work-life balance, slow advancement

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fhlb Boston full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits include a pension and good health plan

Cons

Slow advancement, northeast version of good ole boys network among management

Consider the level of turnover and what quality of people leave versus the quality who stay.

Worst decision I ever made

Current Employee - Manager Level
    Current Employee - Manager Level

I have been working at Fhlb Boston full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some people are nice, but they are usually new employees that quickly get a sense of things then leave.

Cons

Dear God, where to begin? First off, if you're reading these reviews to help you decide on whether you should apply or accept a job here, then PLEASE take my advice and DO NOT WORK HERE! Working at this place was the worst decision I ever made in my life, period. I've worked in the same field at different companies and the experience was so much better than here. First, the commute to the building is atrocious; expect an hour drive no matter where you're coming from. Public transit is orange or green line both of which are nasty but preference should be given to the orange line. If you choose to park here on a daily basis, be prepared to pay almost $500 per month for that "honor". Since there are a half dozen hotels, sport venues, countless of over priced stores, and the Hynes Convention Center here, finding a parking spot at 8 in the morning is a nightmare. They do have free valet which is nice, but expect to wait ten to fifteen minutes for your car when you try to leave. Also, there is a disgusting white and yellow sticky fluid dripping from the ceiling in the garage that you need to be cautious not to park under. Some of it dripped on my car and ate away the paint but of course the building wouldn't pay or even acknowledge it. What do you expect for a measly $500 a month? Now you can now begin your day at the "bank", and I use that term loosely. This place thinks they're a bank and the uptight senior management loves to pretend it is. Even though there are no customers to serve on a daily basis, you're still expected to dress up for work. Don't even get me started on when the board members arrive once a month for two days; this place bends over backwards for them no matter what. I've seen management tell employees to get on the floor and wipe down the walls so the board can see a nice clean wall when they arrive. Not like they would anyway, they usually sit in all day meetings and eat food cooked by a personal chef they bring in for those two days and serve them on real plates with a gold leaf lined brim. Are you serious? Give me a freaking break. I hear this monthly event was an even bigger fiasco in the last building they occupied because they had a full kitchen the chef could utilize whereas now they setup a little burner to cook on, but I came to the bank after they moved so lucky for me I never saw that. Management here is pitiful, expect no recognition unless something goes wrong, then everyone is up in arms and you'll be drowning in paperwork hell filling out reports of what happened, when, where, why, how, etc. Such a waste of time and something I've never seen before at companies with tens of thousands more employees than this place. Since this place is so small (less than 200 people) meetings take up your entire day. One after another after another. Then management looks at you asking why whatever it is your working on is late. There is no time because of all the meetings! People would make fake meetings just to get some time so they can work on their actual work, but that doesn't stop people from calling you anyway asking if you're really busy at that time or not. My manager actually said to me on more than one occasion that I didn't have to leave right at 5, I could work late to get what I need done finished on time. Yeah right, like I'd spend anymore time here than I have to. People here are drones and can never relax, unless you get that one day every few months where you can wear jeans... For a donation fee. This place made billions last year and did extremely well, but just slightly missed their over ambitious goal, so what did they do? No bonuses this year and minimum raises. As long as the C-level staff gets their bonuses and raises on their minimum base pay of $350k thats all that matters. I work for one of the biggest departments at the bank and we're still highly overworked, I can't imagine how the smaller departments (1-4 people) get it done. Yes, there is an entire department with just one person in it and they refuse to hire any help. Also, something odd i was told when I first started was that it seemed like women were treated poorly here since the majority of people here are men. I can say that this is true, we are simply eye candy to these guys and we need to shut up and work. I have a higher degree than my manager yet I'm the stupid one?! I recently accepted a job offer for less pay just so I can get out of this place, that should tell you something! I could go on and on but there is a word limit here. The point is, stay far away from this place unless you want to take your work home with you and be miserable like everyone else here. Turn around and don't look back!

Hire more help and treat your employees with respect! A stupid "Thank You" email sent out by your secretary after months of hard work and long hours is a slap in the face!

There are newer employer reviews for Fhlb Boston