There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Fidelity is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Team Leader in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Team Leader in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Great brand name. Private company. Family run.

Cons

Very big company. Not a lot of opportunities on the west coast.

Advice to Management

Keep the company private. Continue to focus on Customer Service. Create a culture of work/life balance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Overall satisfied employee, cautiously optimistic.

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Overall the benefits and compensation at Fidelity are excellent, and they are the main reason I joined the organization. The 401k matching is unbelievable, and the health insurance is outstanding (although the employee contribution is rising significantly in 2009). There is also a real sense of comradery within departments and my coworkers are some of the smartest and professional people that I have ever worked with. I think Fidelity does a great job at trying to have a good work/life balance, giving employees flexible work options and offering plenty of time off. I think there is also plenty of opportunity to succeed and grow at Fidelity, but you must perceiver throughout times of great change and recognize the potential.

Cons

As with any large institution, you tend to get lost with the amount of people and how huge the organizational chart is. I also feel, that at least in my company (FTG, FISC, Infrastructure, whatever it is called this month) there is a disconnect between Management (directors and above) and non management. In my last company I felt like the organization was more of a family, and here I feel like I can not approach management because I am below them, very close door policy. Obviously 2008 was a challenging year, and the financial services industry as a whole has been a challenge, its sometimes hard to see past the turmoil when your job itself is unknown. Finally I think theres a lot of employees who are “lifers”, people who glide by just doing the minimum and not adding real progressive value.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication. I often times feel misinformed, and usually hear about company information (such as layoffs, org changes, riffs, etc) in the media before anything official from the company itself. I will say this has started to improve over the past year, but it needs to get better. I’d also say to reach out and get to know your employees, understand that our careers are in your hands, and for employees need to be able to relate to leadership to get their vision and figure out what we need to do to help Fidelity accomplish it.

Incredible place to learn the industry

Former Employee - Licensed Personal Financial Representative in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Licensed Personal Financial Representative in Covington, KY

I worked at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Fidelity offers outstanding benefits and perks, from fitness and computer reimbursements to solid 401k matching. The Financial Representative role is highly team-based, and there are always campaigns going on to see which team can land the highest metric scores. The prizes for performing well in the campaign are often substantial. It is quite possible to set aside the gift cards you win from the campaigns to fund an entire Christmas shopping list. A good friend of mine won a 4-day, company paid trip to the Bahamas as a campaign reward. Plus, the campaigns are a lot of fun.

The team structure is great. Nearly all of the managers are incredible. Some are more hands-on than others, but they all make sure you're developing as a representative and getting the training you need to stay sharp.

During the summer, things were incredibly slow and we were often offered VTO (Voluntary Time Off), meaning we could request to leave at a certain time of day and take the rest of the day unpaid. While getting addicted to VTO was extremely hazardous to your paycheck, it was cerrtainly nice to have that option, especially during the summer.

During the winter and tax season, overtime is offered and encouraged. Unlike VTO, overtime was a paycheck savior. While it was strongly encouraged, it was not mandatory, meaning you essentially have control over how much you want to make each day. Because they only offer OT when things are incredibly busy, its pretty safe to say that every hour of OT put in is going to go by very quickly.

Training is INCREDIBLE. When studying for the Series 7 general security license, you are paid for 20 hours out of the week to study. If things are slow, you spend half of your day at work studying. If things are busy, you work through the day and are expected to study at home, and that time is PAID overtime. Huge win/win. In my new hire class of 17 people, every single one of us passed the Series 7 on our first try, something largely unheard of in the industry.

Cons

Career growth potential is low. While there are a number of roles to move into that are still in the call center (retirement specialists, stock plan services, premium service, sales, etc.), they are all essentially call center jobs. Typically, if you're an outstanding rep for a number of years, you may get promoted to a team manager, and from there I'm not sure where people go. In my year at Fidelity I never saw a team manager leave the position, except to be a team manager with a different group (i.e. going from managing a trading/service team to a retirements team).

Also, a POTENTIAL downside is that it is a shift-based role. Upon completing new hire training, you rank the available shifts from 1 (most desired) to 18 (least desired). They try to put everyone in the best shift possible, but the needs of the business come first and some people are going to end up working 10 hour, 4 days shifts, Sunday through Wednesday, starting at 5 AM. Fidelity customer service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so they need people to cover all shifts. I got lucky and got my second pick, which was one of the many M-F 9 to 5's (my first choice was Monday through Thursday, 10 hour shifts), but there are a few people that aren't as lucky. People that work night shifts (any shift starting at noon or later) are given a 8% pay bump while working that shift, however, so there are often people that WANT the later shifts, decreasing the chance you'd be stuck with one if you didn't want it. Also, people can bid for a new shift once per year, so your shift is never permanent.

Advice to Management

Bring back the free hot cocoa. Other than that, keep up the good work!