There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

An excellent place to build a foundation.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Westlake, TX
Current Employee - Managing Director in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

With a wide range of positions in one location, it is easy to gain experience in several areas. Total compensation is competitive, although base salary is lower than average.

Cons

The current trend of "cost cutting" is unfortunately making it more difficult to meet client expectations.

Advice to Management

Focus on building a supportive environment for employees and they will be more motivated to exceed client expectations.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Elephants cannot survive off peanuts; and yes, they count them often.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mobility and other opportunities abound if you are patient. Good name within the industry and loyal client base. Great inexpensive investment lineup.

Cons

Corporate politics abound here. To move up carry toilet paper around often to wipe your nose. They only want to hear the truth if its what they want to hear. You can be #1 in sales but if you dont further their agenda you will stall your career. Micro management is well over the top. Worst I have ever encountered. The compensation is extremely weak (My gross income here is what I used to pay in taxes at my other jobs and I am in the top 20 people out of 300 in the nation for 2 years running) Great place to get hired if you are desperate or looking for a stepping stone but will never be long term. They are short term focused but always talk about the long term. Do not let this fool you! Middle management and some mkt mgrs truly have no clue how to manage. They are failed sales people with brown crust on their noses that micro manage and have little to zero outside experience ( this is their only real job since college). The work and dealing with clients is ok as the Fido client is a cheapskate and know-it-all. It takes time to build trust, realtionships and for the client to self discover they need your/Fido help. Management wants you to slam them into products today. A "what have you done for me today" mentality. If your response is "built a deeper relationship
    based on trust and confidence" the branch mgr will look at you like a cyborg and keep repeating "that does not calculate" until his brain starts to smoke. Corp vision is a lie. They say they want to retain top talent and build long term relationships. Look at their actions. It is a lie. 5 top Senior Accountt execs left in the last 12 months. Everyone of them were threatened on the way out by their mgr rather than spoken to for retention measures. If this were a public company I would buy a put 3 years in the future so i could put it to someone I hated and make a killing from their lose. It is a truly broken system and the mend is at minmum 5 years away. Possibly a decade. Lastly, once you do sell something you have to track it and a third of the time sent up exception as they are not crediting it to you but atbthe same time will be delivering you an oral warning of termination for low production which they will not rescind once its credited and also become part of your HR file. It is purely about power, fear and control at this place. It is only for the weak and timid not top talent.

Advice to Management

You have great talent working for you now. Pay them. Treat them like the pros they are and pay them to retain them. Your attitude toward your S/AE's is reflected by your TOA ratio- yes your clients are leaving in droves because they smell it. If you cared about the client you would not make them endure a dozen S/AE changes over a decade. They are sick of seeing quality talent leave so they go to Vanguard etc. You can dictate to your senior account execs to make 25 dials a day. That does not create a place we want to work and your elementary approach to mgmt focusing on activity drives great talent away. You hired us because of our proven success then we get here and you want us to change what and how we are that made us top salespeople. Because you have the wrong mgmt in places ( braches and market mgr- especially the southeast) does not mean your bean counting micro mgmt will work. Good luck. You will need it. I am one of many in the top that are leaving. Call me when you mature enough to recognize talent and will remunerate me for my skills. Elephants like me will eat the peanut trail but once we realize the trail is a neverending circle with no real food at the end, we leave. Another top 2% SAE leaving. When are you gonna self discover? Maybe management should be trained on CSS.............

2. Varied, good work - bad culture transformation

Former Employee - Vice President, IT in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Vice President, IT in Boston, MA

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

IT is valued, important asset to company.

Cons

Money is now staying at the top - demoralzied, mushroom like masses

Advice to Management

Decentralize, pay for performance in IT, ditch the NY executives and bring back teh family culture