Fidelity Investments

www.fidelity.com

Negative Culture and Values

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsDecent Pay and Good Benefits. A general willingness to invest in business development and IT. Modern and updated facilities with decent amenities. Tight security both physically and on the customer data side.

ConsDoes not pay for performance or set performance expectations well. There are unwritten or absent expectations regarding "success" in job roles; performance is not necessarily judged against what your assignments are and how you execute them.

For example, recently I had achieved all of my performance goals for the review period, such as being ahead of project completion schedules, under budget and delivered targeted business scope. Two weeks prior to the performance review the performance assessment criteria was changed to "measure" me against targets that I had no chance to meet since they were completely different than the job assignments. The manager conducting the review admitted that the assessment criteria was "new" and "unfair" and the lack of communication was deliberate in order to send a "message" to the organization.

After over a decade of service with eighty percent of my performance reviews being "above average" under the various grading scales (and never having had a poor review before), it was a very strange turn of events.

It appears as though it may be a targeted "reduction in force" or "desired attrition" by targeting people at certain pay and/or years of service, since I was only one of several colleagues who held similar positions that expressed a very similar situation.

Rewards are more and more concentrated at the very top level, with the middle layer becoming hollow and the entry level positions are subject to RIF's regularly.

Exceptionally poor planning in just about every business unit, and the company as a whole. A general inability to keep focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the mutual fund performance and gain back market share.

Go public or sell to another public company, since the cultural and structural problems are not going to be solved internally with the current management structure and ownership.

An excellent place to build a foundation.

Managing Director (Current Employee) Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: With a wide range of positions in one location, it is easy to gain… Cons: The current trend of "cost cutting" is unfortunately making it… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on building a supportive environment for employees and they… More

Varied, good work - bad culture transformation

Vice President, IT (Former Employee) Boston, MA

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: IT is valued, important asset to company. Cons: Money is now staying at the top - demoralzied, mushroom… Advice to Senior Management: Decentralize, pay for performance in IT, ditch the NY executives… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Fidelity Investments.

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!