Fidelity Investments

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Negative Culture and Values

Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent Pay and Good Benefits. A general willingness to invest in business development and IT. Modern and updated facilities with decent amenities. Tight security both physically and on the customer data side.

Cons

Does not pay for performance or set performance expectations well. There are unwritten or absent expectations regarding "success" in job roles; performance is not necessarily judged against what your assignments are and how you execute them.

For example, recently I had achieved all of my performance goals for the review period, such as being ahead of project completion schedules, under budget and delivered targeted business scope. Two weeks prior to the performance review the performance assessment criteria was changed to "measure" me against targets that I had no chance to meet since they were completely different than the job assignments. The manager conducting the review admitted that the assessment criteria was "new" and "unfair" and the lack of communication was deliberate in order to send a "message" to the organization.

After over a decade of service with eighty percent of my performance reviews being "above average" under the various grading scales (and never having had a poor review before), it was a very strange turn of events.

It appears as though it may be a targeted "reduction in force" or "desired attrition" by targeting people at certain pay and/or years of service, since I was only one of several colleagues who held similar positions that expressed a very similar situation.

Rewards are more and more concentrated at the very top level, with the middle layer becoming hollow and the entry level positions are subject to RIF's regularly.

Exceptionally poor planning in just about every business unit, and the company as a whole. A general inability to keep focus.

Improve the mutual fund performance and gain back market share.

Go public or sell to another public company, since the cultural and structural problems are not going to be solved internally with the current management structure and ownership.

1940 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

The company culture is very relaxed and positive.

Current Employee - Mutual FUnd Pre-pricing Analyst II in Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - Mutual FUnd Pre-pricing Analyst II in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent training, nice benefits package.

Cons

Entry level has high turn over after year, many competitors pay more.

An excellent place to build a foundation.

Current Employee - Managing Director in Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - Managing Director in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

With a wide range of positions in one location, it is easy to gain experience in several areas. Total compensation is competitive, although base salary is lower than average.

Cons

The current trend of "cost cutting" is unfortunately making it more difficult to meet client expectations.

Focus on building a supportive environment for employees and they will be more motivated to exceed client expectations.

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments