Fair

Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Client Service Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Salary is lower than industry standard, but made up for by benefit packages and little perks (fitness reimbursement, computer assistance, etc.) Great place to learn the ropes of the industry, sales techniques, etc. Stable company, constantly changing internally to evolve with economy or client investment demand.

Cons

I am in customer service so I've been getting burned out by the demanding customer expectations and Fidelity's policy that the "customer is always right". I notice the sales roles have experienced greater pressure to fulfill goals due to the economy. We have been short staffed for a long time, and they are slow to fill the roles (either internally or externally, and competition is FIERCE) puting added pressure and stress on the remaining employees.

Advice to Management

Office culture depends on the manager. Used to have a GREAT guy that really supported and motivated the employees, but he moved on to other things. The new manager needs training, doesn't seem to appreciate the hard work of the employees and generally brought down the morale of the office.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good and bad

Current Employee - Service Representative - Trading in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Service Representative - Trading in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fidelity Investments

Pros

Pay is decent for young college grads; also good benefits. 401k - they potentially match up to 17% after some tenure, Most of the people you work with are decent people. Almost everyone realizes it's not the most exciting or fulfilling job; it's like everyone's in the same boat. We can always connect with each other based upon bad calls we've had or some worthless reprimand from management.

Cons

Since the first day I've been there, it's felt like we're in elementary school or some nice form of a concentration camp. You are almost told verbatim what to say. The call model is a decent model, but management needs to understand that not every call is worth the whole effort. Not client needs our guidance services, not everyone is an active trader. Also, there is a large amount of knowledge that is needed. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing, but the environment is horrible. There are several different computer programs we use for various things. One for trading, one for problem resolution, one for money movement. A small mistake or overlook is looked heavily down upon. If, God forbid, you make a "trade error," you are reprimanded even if it had little to no impact on the company (I've also had trade errors that made the company money). Even if the mistake was question that 99 out of 100 people don't know about how our internal systems work, there is supposedly always an answer in OLR. It stands for OnLine Reference. It's basically the Fidelity bible for trading and service. Problem is that OLR must have been written by either a mad robot or Ned Johnson himself. It's not written well at all and even sometimes contain mistakes that we still "should have known." We are given several metrics that we must meet that grade us on various call aspects; these include: average call time, scheduling efficiency (how closely you fit into a minute by minute schedule daily), and % of time either in available to talk to on a call. As reps we are expected to "put the customer first" at all times. They should really rephrase that to "put the customer first only on that phone call." After the call ends, so does any contact that we have with that person. Why is this a problem? About 25% of the calls you take are problems that may take awhile to fix. There is no researching or following up on problems after the call. Managers criticize calling back customers. Also, about 92% of managers are really horrible people.

Advice to Management

You have hired smart people. Let us use our brains and stop micromanaging so much!

2. Tech savvy products

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Marlborough, NH
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Marlborough, NH

I worked at Fidelity Investments

Pros

The company is proud to follow bleeding-edge technologies for its products. There's good learning learning in new technologies. The company is also proud to share and educate about its systems architecture design as part of employee training.

Cons

The company is very particular about expenditure in recent years and is ready to move employees to other locations to cut costs.

Advice to Management

None