There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Most toxic Corporate IT environment

Current Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Software Engineer/Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments (more than an year)

Pros

Stable working environment and decent 401k benefits.
Working location in Boston is very good, right next to South Station

Cons

- Toxic and bullying IT environment
- Stupid and long-term relocation policy that alienates all IT workers.
- Mostly a waste of time for any young IT professional I have talked to. Everyone left the company within 2 years.

If you are a IT professional under age 30 and looking for a career, and not just a job that pays the rent, please stay far away from Fidelity. Do not believe anything they say. I once thought that a peaceful corporate environment would be okay. But I learned how a toxic environment can affect a worker's life and career potentials. It is not going to be worth your time to work in a company like Fidelity. I felt so much happier when I leave the place.

The relocation policy is a joke. None of the elite IT talent in their right mind will accept some remote area in Texas. It is not going to help you retain any good talent in IT. You will lose to other companies who appreciate junior IT professionals more.

1861 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

Working in IT at Fidelity will be the death of your career if you are a true Tech Person

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Generally competitive salaries and good benefits. If you are very good with Technology no one is likely to ask questions as they wouldn't want to reveal how little they know themselves.

Cons

Fidelity is very political and top heavy. Over 25% of IT people have titles of Director or above, however this is not because of ability, it is because it is the only way Fidelity can retain staff. These people would not cut it at technology companies where engineering and merit are central.

In order to accomplish anything at Fidelity, you must have countless meeting with many groups of people, most of whom will not understand any technical aspects of the discussion. Instead decision makers will rely on people with inflated titles whom they believe to be technical gurus, but who are simply the best at appearances and politics.

Fidelity is extremely title, appearance, and politics conscious. Your actual ability to innovate, be creative, or lead is secondary to these factors. If you are a true lover of technology who wants to learn and grow, then you should make every effort to join a proper technology company. Avoid Fidelity at all costs.
    It

Rigid Atmosphere

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Cary, NC

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

loved the people whom I worked with, benefits were great, pay was little.

Cons

I had 7 manager in 3 years, the last one was the worst so Its a luck of the draw, very limited mobility, new employees are more valued than tenured ones.

Need to know what managers are up to, and not manage people by numbers only.

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments