There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Account Executive

Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Account Executive in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation,product offerings,strong company, very professional

Cons

Very micro managing, outrageous first year goals, often tell you what you are doing poorly and never point out positives. Manage by fear.

Dont always point out negatives. Positive re-enforcement goes a long way in managing sales people

1865 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

Fidelity Workplace Guidance Role in Westlake is a Major Disappointment

Former Employee - Workplace Guidance I in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Workplace Guidance I in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits.

Wonderful location on beautiful campus with amenities.

Opportunities for advancement.

Workplace Guidance role inspires reps with mission to help customers with onboarding within their employer sponsored 401k plan.

Top-notch facilitator teaches principles involving the use of consultative selling skills to facilitate deeper, needs-based analysis in order to better serve customers.

Cons

Unfortunately, when training ends, the reality is that associates must position Fidelity IRA's, regardless of whether or not enough information has been gathered from the customer to substantiate the pitch. Since there's no time for a consultative approach when managers expect you to take as many calls as possible--- and because there's no need for a consultative approach when an IRA is always the answer--- phone interactions result in the same canned pitch over and over.

Managers and Guidance Support Specialists coach to numbers only. Customer satisfaction surveys somehow no longer matter. Site wide departmental sales performance reports are routinely e-mailed to the group and posted on white boards near team areas. Stats reports (number of calls handled, average handle time, etc.) are e-mailed daily. Associates are even required to keep a running personal daily tally and turn it in each week as a sort of unofficial reporting mechanism which is still e-mailed out to the team.

Within the Workplace Guidance business unit there is also a drive that pits all sites against one another, competitively speaking. Westlake prides itself on being "relentless" and even encourages dishonest tactics to provide an unfair advantage such as working unscheduled overtime in order to take more phonecalls than other sites.

Recognize the disconnect between the ideals/vision you promote and current practices. Have the courage to stand up for what's right for associates and above all--- customers.

VP- Associates should not feel like they're being managed by you. Trust the managers and GSS's you have hired, and allow them to appropriately manage reps. Associates ought to be able to confidently send/receive e-mail communications to/from their own manager without involvement from a VP.

I LOVED working for Fidelity, and never wanted to leave until working in this job. Even though I was always in good standing and highly rated with Fidelity, in this job I suddenly lived in constant fear that I might be fired due to this intense, threatening leadership style. I couldn't sleep at night. Using fear to motivate is damaging.

Good Morals -- Ok Pay

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One of the only financial firms in the industry with values.

Cons

The only way to get off the phones in SLC is to be at the company 10 years (or so)

There is a reason you have high turnover, lower the workload

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments