Fidelity Investments

www.fidelity.com
  www.fidelity.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Decent pay, good work/life but culture stinks, lack of communication

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

I worked in IT. My immediate team was nice, the pay was good, and I didn't work every weekend. My job was ok. To do my job took wayyyy longer than it needed to take.

Cons

I think the culture is competitive to the point that people don't readily share knowledge. They hide it from each other in order to make themselves look better. That kind of behavior doesn't help a company move forward. They are also way too conservative and never want to take responsibility. Instead, they make decisions by consensus so that no one is to blame if something goes wrong.

1903 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

Great people hamstrung by a lack of decisive and visible senior leadership

Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay, decent work-life balance, excellent benefits. The people at Fidelity are smart, friendly and uniformly desire to do the right thing.

Cons

Terrible disconnect between senior management and the people below them. Poltiical maneuvering among senior leaders is widespread, a result of C-level unwillingness to set direction clearly or resolve conflicts decisively.

Company culture is consensus-driven - often from the bottom up in that individuals, groups and teams are left to work things out themselves - and when issues among teams arise that cannot be resolved below the SVP level, they remain unaddressed and left to fester until things get bad enough that someone senior HAS to step in, usually with more fallout than would have been necessary if the problem had been addressed earlier.

There is a serious blind spot when it comes to recognizing the limits of consensus-building and the fact that leadership by directive is sometimes necessary.

Fidelity does very well in the financial services marketplace, but it would absolutely own that space if it could stop stepping on its own feet. The problem is not how you're communicating to everyone in the organization, it's that you are not leading effectively, and this problem starts with the president of the company. Be visible, be decisive, and set direction - if everything is going to be run by consensus, we don't need you.

Decline

Current Employee - Trader in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Trader in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People are great. That's all

Cons

8 hours on phones.
    Mandatory I mean "optional overtime"
    Run like a labor factory
    Low pay
    I made higher bonuses as an intern in college. AND I was on one of the highest performing teams in service in the country

Reps need more to do than sit on the phone all day. Not healthy

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments