Fidelity Investments

www.fidelity.com
  www.fidelity.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Decent pay, good work/life but culture stinks, lack of communication

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC
Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

I worked in IT. My immediate team was nice, the pay was good, and I didn't work every weekend. My job was ok. To do my job took wayyyy longer than it needed to take.

Cons

I think the culture is competitive to the point that people don't readily share knowledge. They hide it from each other in order to make themselves look better. That kind of behavior doesn't help a company move forward. They are also way too conservative and never want to take responsibility. Instead, they make decisions by consensus so that no one is to blame if something goes wrong.

1909 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

Poor management

Former Employee - Relationship Manager
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Office Space
    -Technology
    -Support of Call Centers
    -Good for someone looking to start their career and obtaining securities licenses
    -Benefits are okay - not as good as some companies but not bad either

Cons

This is a job - not a career. Your role and upward movement with this company is dependent upon your relationship with senior management. It has little to do with the amount of work you do or your contribution to the organization.

Extremely political atmosphere - most employees are afraid to raise concerns due to repercussions from senior management. There are some very good managers within the company however locally, our managers were very unprofessional and morale within the office was very low as a result. High turnover within company as a result.

Senior management does not do a good job treating their employees as assets. They have a "use and abuse" attitude with most of them and a better outlook would help employees feel valued and feel as though they have a career path within the company. They bait new representatives with a story of how they will be moving up within the company in a short time, however, I have seen AE's in their roles for over ten years that have been unable to move up within the company - despite their best efforts and good job performance due to office politics.

Local and senior management was highly unprofessional and very political. Very much a "good ole boys club." I have never seen a company with this problem at this level in 15 years in brokerage.

Great people hamstrung by a lack of decisive and visible senior leadership

Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI
    Current Employee - Vice President in Smithfield, RI

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay, decent work-life balance, excellent benefits. The people at Fidelity are smart, friendly and uniformly desire to do the right thing.

Cons

Terrible disconnect between senior management and the people below them. Poltiical maneuvering among senior leaders is widespread, a result of C-level unwillingness to set direction clearly or resolve conflicts decisively.

Company culture is consensus-driven - often from the bottom up in that individuals, groups and teams are left to work things out themselves - and when issues among teams arise that cannot be resolved below the SVP level, they remain unaddressed and left to fester until things get bad enough that someone senior HAS to step in, usually with more fallout than would have been necessary if the problem had been addressed earlier.

There is a serious blind spot when it comes to recognizing the limits of consensus-building and the fact that leadership by directive is sometimes necessary.

Fidelity does very well in the financial services marketplace, but it would absolutely own that space if it could stop stepping on its own feet. The problem is not how you're communicating to everyone in the organization, it's that you are not leading effectively, and this problem starts with the president of the company. Be visible, be decisive, and set direction - if everything is going to be run by consensus, we don't need you.

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments