There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

For the Cincinnati area, it's not a bad place to be

Current Employee - Vice President
Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people you work with are great. All focused on the customer.
Nice regional campus.
You can build career there without moving.
Invests in the people and technology.
Decent benefits.
Supportive of development of the people.

Cons

Hit or miss with SVPs. Some are great (visionary, smart, approachable, open, advocates, fair). Others will do what they can to take care of themselves at the cost of others. The HR rules to not apply to that level and there are known issues that are kind of ignored. They are hired for driving to metrics and not the ability to manage, lead or inspire. Just do your homework to determine if the leadership of the function will align to what is important to you.

Also understand the bonus opportunity and how it is structured. Your bonus percent is always immediately reduced by the funding level (fund at 85% for example) and then you get a percentage of your bonus eligible amount depending on performance. .85 (funded level) X .85 (decent bonus based on performance) X.40 (eligible amount) = 28.9% is really what your 40% "bonus opportunity" turns out to be. And that is for a solid performer. Just be fully informed as you negotiate your salary. 80/20 rule applies here -Only 20% get the top bonus which means you actually get the "opportunity" tied to your grade level. Don't get me wrong here - is 28% a nice bonus? Yes. Is it far away from 40%? Yes. What is supposed to be motivating you to perform well just becomes exhausting.

Hold senior management to the same level of accountability. If they are not capable of managing people (which is not easy and not for everyone) then don't put them in positions where they are leading large groups.

We understand compa ratio and the market rate concept, but for a company like Fidelity where you are constantly overworked, and when the cost of living continues to increase, just be aware of how this looks. Especially when the SVPs seem to be able to afford multiple houses yet everyone below that just levels out if they have been a strong performer over time. Who are the ones really making the place run?

1803 Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments (View Most Recent)

High Net Worth Representative I

Current Employee - High Net Worth Representative I  in  Westlake, TX
    Current Employee - High Net Worth Representative I in Westlake, TX

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of options as far as career paths are concerned. Wonderful training program, so it is a great place to begin your career in the financial services industry. Fair pay. Very very good retirement benefits.

Cons

The measures of performance make it easy for management to micro-manage, and be overly critical of what would normally be considered very hard working employees. Unfortunately, although there are a great deal of career paths, these same measures of performance are used to evaluate employees, and can sometimes lead to wonderful employees being overlooked for advancement.

Fidelity Investments is a really great place to work!

Current Employee - Visual Design Developer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Visual Design Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are very nice and supportive, especially my manager. I had a recent death in my family, and everyone was beyond supportive, which meant a lot. You may expect an investment company to be stuffy and old school, but Fidelity is quite the opposite! The perks and benefits are great, as well as the pay.

Cons

Coming from a creative background (art and theater), being in a very corporate environment can be sometimes challenging for a right brained person.

Though this is an old respected company with a sound reputation, make sure to also occasionally make room for new modern ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

Worked for Fidelity Investments? Contribute to the Community!